Did ford fix anything for the Gen 3 with Cham Phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am curious what's the average mileage when the cam phaser issue starts to show itself? I'm a 2020 with 24k miles and nothing runs like a champ. If guys get past a certain mileage and no problems then are we in the clear so to speak, or can it rear its head at any time?
On my 2018 it started around 30-35k miles & I’d just hold gas down & let it crank a lil extra to prevent it, on my 2020 (July build- had to be one of the absolute last of the Gen2s) I now have 22k miles doesn’t show any signs, I do notice on cold start occasionally I hear what I can only describe as a knock or tap sound that’s only for an instant right before engine turns over…sounds like a loud bendix on the starter solenoid OR only b/c of what fordtechone mentioned in terms of a “locking mechanism” it doesn’t almost sound like a tensioner/chain of some sort getting instantly taut as well. Either way- no sign of phaser issue

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They redesigned the locking mechanism. The issue affecting the previous design was being caused by the phasers locking/unlocking too frequently.
Mine was a 2019 build, very interested to see if it had the revision. 67k miles no issues, but I got extended warranty just to cover just in case

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As a 4 time Raptor owner who thankfully never had this issue, I’m happy to be ignorant of even what the heck a cam phaser is and whether they are in all or most engines.

and that’s coming from a guy who, when building the Visible V8 engine as a model when a kid, glued the crankshaft. Never did figure out why the battery pack wouldn’t turn the engine. Lol.