Dealor MSRP shenanigan's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Dickerson

Reaction score
The dealer doesn't care about the extended warranty, it's just a way for them to disguise profit. If you don't want the warranty, they put in an offer for MSRP + the difference between their extended warranty price and the ESP warranty price. Dealer gets the same profit. You're over complicating it by getting a loan just to buy and cancel a warranty you don't want.
Sounds good except I’m not paying over MSRP for anything. A couple phone calls and a visit to the dealership to cancel the warranty after a week or 2 is worth it to me.

Just___Rel

Reaction score
Yea I had a bunch of dealer say no ADM a few weeks ago, then the closer it got they changed their mind. The one I’m talking about in this post was one of them. The rest of them are all talking 5-10 ADM now. The one that wants me to finance and buy a warranty wants a deposit now as well which I have no problem doing if I can get MSRP
Good to know. Thank you for this.

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I had a bunch of dealer say no ADM a few weeks ago, then the closer it got they changed their mind. The one I’m talking about in this post was one of them. The rest of them are all talking 5-10 ADM now. The one that wants me to finance and buy a warranty wants a deposit now as well which I have no problem doing if I can get MSRP
I got it in writing that the price is MSRP. I had a feeling the closer it got and the squeeze on cars got bigger that ADM would creep its way in.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds good except I’m not paying over MSRP for anything. A couple phone calls and a visit to the dealership to cancel the warranty after a week or 2 is worth it to me.

If you can do that, then ok. Maybe it's done all the time and I just don't know. As stated, read the fine print.

Another thought, see if there's something else you could buy through the dealer that you actually are interested in, perhaps some dealer added option or something, so that dealer gets a little bit of extra profit and you get something you won't have to turn around and cancel.

Mark Dickerson

Reaction score
If you can do that, then ok. Maybe it's done all the time and I just don't know. As stated, read the fine print.

Another thought, see if there's something else you could buy through the dealer that you actually are interested in, perhaps some dealer added option or something, so that dealer gets a little bit of extra profit and you get something you won't have to turn around and cancel.
Or the dealer could sell at MSRP and sell the warranty for a normal profit not 2 times the normal price which works outs to about 150% profits.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where are you guys going to get your warranties outside of Ford?
Flood Ford is always at least one of, if not the, cheapest, for the regular Ford ESP factory warranty. Same Ford warranty, just a lot cheaper from a few dealers that blow them out at a discount. I got an 8 year from them.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

Last edited:

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've agreed to finance through the dealer on the last 4 vehicles we purchased just to negotiate a better price up front. We just pay it off or refinance right away at a much lower rate than the dealers will usually offer. Just make sure there is no prepayment penalty. If it's the Ford ESP warranty I believe you can usually cancel those as well. If you plan on keeping the truck a long time or putting a lot of miles on it the Ford warranty may be worth it if they didn't mark it up considerably. I'd compare the price to what Oldfart posted above, Flood has the best factory warranty prices I've seen.

OP
OP
M

mpd510

Reaction score
I've agreed to finance through the dealer on the last 4 vehicles we purchased just to negotiate a better price up front. We just pay it off or refinance right away at a much lower rate than the dealers will usually offer. Just make sure there is no prepayment penalty. If it's the Ford ESP warranty I believe you can usually cancel those as well. If you plan on keeping the truck a long time or putting a lot of miles on it the Ford warranty may be worth it if they didn't mark it up considerably. I'd compare the price to what Oldfart posted above, Flood has the best factory warranty prices I've seen.
it was the Ford ESP and they want $5000 for 8 years / 125000 miles
flood ford is $3500 for the same warranty.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This is a response to customer outcry at ADM ; the 1k to 30k dollar markup over MSRP some stealerships have been tacking on to these trucks.

If you have to have the truck R.F.N. then MSRP is your target. God love you if you better it, but MSRP is about where everyone can expect to get for about the first MY of the new gen truck.

if you’re searching in a large or populous urban area and immediate suburbs, you can expect to see games like this or about a +2k to +15k ADM depending on stealership size, proximity to city, etc.
2017 taught us that just because they say they will sell at MSRP, doesn’t mean when you get there to do the papers it ends up at the numbers you expect.

Ford will continue to make Raptors in volume, so you just have to be patient. As I’m not actively in the market right now, I may test the waters with $3k under MSRP just for the grins.

Don’t spend foolishly. The Raptor will hold its value, but not the ADM. If your truck is totaled miles after driving off the lot, all that ADM money, ext. warranty money, finance tack ons, all gets flushed down the toilet.

Negotiate fearlessly. There’s this thing called the internet. Use it to find the right truck at the right stealership.

Don’t waste time “negotiating” how much over MSRP you’re paying, leave. find a stealership who’s serious about selling.

Don’t begrudge the stealership their profit either. You can’t reasonably expect 7k under MSRP on a new MY Rap. if the deal is close to what you’re aiming for, sweating a grand or less is wasting your time, and your time is money. It’s ok to negotiate tough, but don’t be too hard headed.

NO extras. Be up front; you aren’t paying for and do not want the truck altered from stock. Some stealerships will tack on tint, bed liner, rust protection, etc... Make it clear up front.

Stealership will cut you paperwork with your down payment. That’s “in writing” and about as close to a firm agreement on a deal as you can make. Nothing is 100% until the papers are signed and keys in hand, but it’s good to get rolling.

I negotiated my entire 2017 deal in late 2016 via SMS text, including the trade in by sending pictures with my phone. I did call in the downpayment, which netted me a pdf of the deal, and a mailed copy afterwards. Then I waited. My stealership was up front, no gimmicks, no back and forth, just deal or don’t. just how I like it.