Dealership Forgot to put lug nuts on tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scary gary

Reaction score
Flush is not to fords protocol call. I recently had it recommended to me and I did it. Transmission went out and had to be replaced. I learns a lot from this experience it’s been a battle of almost a 6 months now. They blamed my 37s and voided my warranty. I proved to them it’s not under protocol for that transmission and they had to replace it.
This is on gen2. Sorry

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I took my truck to a dealership for a simple tire rotation and transmission fluid flush. They had to send me to their Commercial maintenance shop for F250+ size vehicles as my truck was too large. Well, long story short, they forgot to put the lug nuts on the front driver-side tire. It fell off when I was 5 minutes away going down the highway. Luckily no other vehicles were hit when this happened, but it damaged the front end of the truck significantly.

So, I find it hard to believe there were no lug nuts on the wheel at all. If that were the case, the wheel likely would’ve come off at the first turn or lateral load on the tire. Probably the lugs weren’t tightened and worked their way right off.

I immediately called the dealer to tell they F'd up. They sent someone to pick me up and get me in a loaner right away as well as pick up the truck. They have promised me to make it right and repair all of the damages. The issue is with all of the custom work, I need to verify that the repairs are adequate and everything is fixed properly.

YEARS ago I had ... brakes I think, done at a local shop, I heard some clunking and the steering felt loose, so I returned. We’re talking between 1 mile to 1.5 miles or so. Same issue, but the lugs never came off. Shagged the studs and rotor, wheel was ok. They covered it without any difficulty.

If this is a ‘project’ truck, that you’ve got a crap ton of investment in, who gives a $hit about carfax? sure, you will move on to other projects sooner or later, but the investment in time and effort usually weighs pretty equally with the money. You need to make sure you have receipts for all your parts, or the current replacement value. You need 1 for 1; no substitutions not approved by you. Make sure the service manager is on the same page and have him write up a repair order / estimate and ensure it’s a no cost (to you) price.

If there’s any degree of unwillingness, lawyer is probably going to be needed for at least a next steps discussion. I’m not sure about using insurance, if the shop decides to play hardball and tell you to screw off, we’re not touching your heavily modified truck, or they plead incompetence, what have you, you’ll have to get cash out of them and that’s not usually easy. I’d get with the service manager and see that 1) they’re willing to make this right. 2) they are capable of making it right. 3) the job is a priority and will be completed within ... let’s say a month 4) they put it in writing.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Just for the record, they don’t put lug nuts on the tire. They put lug nuts on the wheels. Perhaps in your case though, they DID put the lug nuts on the tire and they fell off when they moved it.

Glad I was able to help clarify the situation

Just to clarify a little more, they don't put lugnuts on a wheel either.

They install the lugnuts onto the threaded studs where the wheels are mounted for support.

Glad I was able to help clarify the situation a little further.

I really don't know what's worse the person who forgot to install the lugnuts or the people who should ensure the person doing the job is capable.

Last edited:

dirtgod

Reaction score
Get a lawyer. They may well fix it right but will never compensate you for the diminished value..never. There is a lot going on here eith the insurance potential etc. This type of case brings attorneys fees so if they screw around, they will have to pay your lawyers fees too. I wouldn’t go it alone. Just my two cents. Glad you are OK..that had to be hairy.

dirtgod

Reaction score
And a smart lawyer will stay in the background and see how they treat you without letting on a thing—but be ready to pounce if it goes awry

Mike T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I always rotate my own tires, plus it gave me a reason to buy 2 Eagle 3 ton jacks and a whiz bang dolley thing to schlep the tires and wheels around :cool::cool:

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess the big factor is what would be the intended outcome of getting a lawyer. More money? Or some BBB involvement to ensure they are marked for this kind of error. They genuinely could have killed someone let alone destroying an unbelievably gorgeous truck...

#neverforget

BC43C064-D5C0-46C5-9FA6-FFFA869076C9.jpeg

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sue them!! And find a new dealer! That one certainly does not have fully, capable and trained techs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk