Dealership blaming my LEDs for front camera issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local dealership has had my truck off & on for over 7 days trying to diagnose and fix my front camera. The camera simply will not enable regardless of 4WD, ORM or locked differential status. They've replaced everything, including the transfer case, and it's still not working. So they just called me to ask if the camera stopped working near the time I installed the LED lights. I told them that the camera has worked since the lights were installed and the lights were connected to the upfitter switches using the directions in the owner's manual. KHC did the install so I know the lights are connected correctly. I can just sense Ford trying to get out of this by blaming my aftermarket accessories. Should I have them disconnect the lights to prove the lights are not causing the problem or am I asking for trouble?

Ingot SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pick up your truck and disconnect the lights yourself then test the cam to see if it works. If it works then you don't look stupid if it doesn't work go to another dealer. and explain your situation.

if they aren't going to charge you to disconnect then have them do it. if the cam still doesn't work then they need to rethink what the problem could be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goinsvt

goinsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I told them to put it back together and I just picked it up. I'm going to disconnect the lights this weekend and see what happens. When I picked it up, service manager mentioned that the Ford tech said it could be because of the current draw exceeding the maximum for the control box. 1) The lights are Rigid and Whelen LEDs so very little current draw and 2) If that was the case, the camera should work if the lights are not on. The service manager doesn't believe it's the lights but says he has to do what the Ford corporate technicians tell him since the dealership technicians have never worked on the Raptor camera before. The Saga continues....

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The service manager doesn't believe it's the lights but says he has to do what the Ford corporate technicians tell him since the dealership technicians have never worked on the Raptor camera before.

that statement in itself would make me find another dealer to work on it..

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with all the above, find anothe dealer, don't kill your self with disconnecting the light ,just pull the fuse before bringing it else where.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can not see how the lights could have anything to do with it. First when they are OFF they draw nothing. Second pulling the fuse would effectively disconnect the lights and that is all of a 15 second job so I think this dealer just needs to take ones head our of ones own ass.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get so sick and tired of most of these dealerships being COMPLETELY FN CLUELESS!

I just think I am going to start doing the same thing when I go to work everyday.... Just be a complete idiot and get paid on someone elses dime for it.

OP
OP
goinsvt

goinsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the rear backup camera work, off road mode, and rear parking aid sensors

The rear camera does work but I noticed that the camera stays on for 10 - 15 seconds after I put it in drive. The delayed camera option is disabled in the camera options so it should turn off immediately after taking it out of reverse.

I noticed too that the dealership left the front camera connector disconnected and it's been raining here for the last two days. Last thing I need is water in the plug. BTW - camera still didn't work after connecting it.