CV leaking? Hmm, any idea? Pics inside 12k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MyLord

Reaction score
You modified the truck's front suspension, changing the angle that the CV joints operate at. The leaking CV is on you, even if it was a defective part.

It's a matter of ethics. Are you ethical or not?
Tough crowd. Karen’s as of late talking about “ethics” in a ford raptor forum with tons of issues on these trucks.

It’s a known issue without a lift. But hey, if it’s on me, it’s on me.

Very helpful comment from Xrocket21, thank you!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tough crowd. Karen’s as of late talking about “ethics” in a ford raptor forum with tons of issues on these trucks.

It’s a known issue without a lift. But hey, if it’s on me, it’s on me.
Karens are entitled individuals who modify their vehicles and expect someone else to pay for it when it breaks. Karens don’t take personal accountability, it’s always someone else’s fault.

Your distractors claiming it’s a “known issue” and that there are “tons of issues with these trucks” is your way of trying to avoid responsibility. There are no “known issues” with axles, the only “known” here is that you modified the truck outside of its factory intended design and caused a failure. It’s not that complicated.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should take it in with the collars on, own it. I personally think it should be covered because a small collar like that shouldn’t cause that issue at that mileage. They may just warranty it anyway.

But if they don’t, you pay to play. You gotta know that going in when you start doing mods. But removing that part to get around the potential warranty denial is what people here are taking issue with.

At the end of the day cv’s are wear items and aren’t that expensive or hard to replace.

OP
OP
M

MyLord

Reaction score
You should take it in with the collars on, own it. I personally think it should be covered because a small collar like that shouldn’t cause that issue at that mileage. They may just warranty it anyway.

But if they don’t, you pay to play. You gotta know that going in when you start doing mods. But removing that part to get around the potential warranty denial is what people here are taking issue with.

At the end of the day cv’s are wear items and aren’t that expensive or hard to replace.
This is exactly my plan.

I’ve seen other threads of folks with aftermarket mods stating they’ll take off or flash back before taking to the dealership but haven’t seen the sour reaction like this until now.

Oh well. All is good in the hood.

BryBurger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha... this thread has become amusing. I get both sides and its frustrating when $hit breaks...period! It is a very minor common modification with the collars and not a wild high lift so I would be surprised by the issue too. Also tons of people have done this mod without any issues so I would say it is one of those rare occasions something fails and a bit of bad luck.

OP, I learned long ago that you will not always get the answers you want from a forum but it is still a good resource for things not easily learned elsewhere. What I would do is call a few Ford dealerships out of my area and ask if collars would void the warranty for a CV leak to get some kind of consensus on the issue. Perhaps it is a non-issue?!?

Chazzersgarage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many dealers don't care about the collars or spring changes. I asked the dealers about this at the purchase of both of my Raptors. I was told by the SM's that it wasn't an issue. However, they both said not all dealerships will have the same policy.

If you don't like what they say, try another dealer.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Many dealers don't care about the collars or spring changes. I asked the dealers about this at the purchase of both of my Raptors. I was told by the SM's that it wasn't an issue. However, they both said not all dealerships will have the same policy.

If you don't like what they say, try another dealer.
There seems to be some confusion is this thread as to what a “warranty” actually is.

The policy is the same for all dealers; it’s called the Warranty & Policy Manual. It’s not the dealerships discretion whether a component failure due to a modification is warrantable.

Warranty is also not determined by what some might refer to as a “minor” vs “major” modification, or “how many others have done it without problems”, etc. Warranty covers defects in parts and workmanship as build by the manufacturer, not failures caused by aftermarket parts or owner modifications. It doesn’t matter how high the lift is or how large the tires are, if it’s modified outside of factory specification and there’s an attributable failure, that’s not considered a warrantable defect.

For some reason people think the manufacturer should cover everything regardless, as if it’s an insurance policy. You mod it, you own the consequences. And as far as calling around to dealers to see if any are willing to commit warranty fraud, it’s amazing how mindsets change when the shoe is on the other foot. People (justifiably) complain about unethical dealers with their ADMs, not honoring pricing, selling allocations out from under them, marking up financing, etc, but when it comes to mod related failures, they’re the first ones to ask the dealer to commit warranty fraud on their behalf.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is exactly my plan.

I’ve seen other threads of folks with aftermarket mods stating they’ll take off or flash back before taking to the dealership but haven’t seen the sour reaction like this until now.

Oh well. All is good in the hood.

I brought my Gen 2 in with the Cobb AP still mounted on my dash and tune loaded. They fixed my sunroof shade and front diff pinion seal under warranty without issue.