CV Boot failing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes exactly! You do realize that Geiser has been making springs for raptors since gen 1 right?! And no one has had issues until now? So you’re saying every lifted/leveled raptor is gonna have cv joint failures?

There is no way to predict how many will fail. We only know that the vehicle has been modified outside of the OE specifications that the axle was designed to. OEMs don’t engineer and test products outside of the factory configuration to account for your modifications. OEMs only warranty what they sold you, which is a stock vehicle. If a vehicle is lifted, axle damage is not warrantable.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the lift is enough, I could see the joint generating more heat, fatiguing the boot faster Will it be enough to cause a quick failure? I don’t know, but with 2 failures in proximity, I’d be concerned:

Exactly. If this was a widespread concern affecting stock vehicles, there would be an SSM or TSB. His truck is his profile picture, the lift is significant and quite obvious.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Since all of his suspension parts have been kept stock outside of his rims/tires, Ford wouldn’t deny any warranty work would they? :)

@zombiekiller 40s are cool and all, but your not Ken Block and Wetsen type of cool :p

you're right, I've used my truck more than 3 times and I'm keeping it, so 404: cool not found.

OP
OP
Miggy

Miggy

Reaction score
It’s not a widespread issue for anyone with geisers either. The only cv boot failures from people that have replied don’t even have a lift or level

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
in all honesty, at very least, you should check for boot interference, but in all reality, the boots really should be adjusted if you mess with the ride height of the vehicle.

changing the static ride height will most likely move the CV angle enough that the boot will rub on itself far more often than when a factory ride height is maintained.

Usually, boot failures come from the boot chafing itself.

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That boots are shit quality. Mine was new, few thousand km. Never off road. The story about other springs, lift and others are nonsens. Is rubber. If the joint can hold, the rubber also. How some of you can say that is because after market spring or other tuning.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That boots are shit quality. Mine was new, few thousand km. Never off road. The story about other springs, lift and others are nonsens. Is rubber. If the joint can hold, the rubber also. How some of you can say that is because after market spring or other tuning.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

There is no quality difference in the CV boots between a Raptor and a standard F-150, nor between F-150 and industry standards. Your vehicle was shipped from the US to Romania, there was plenty of opportunities for the CV boot to get damaged during transit, causing it to fail later. Road debris can also damage the boots, but it’s not common. It’s also possible you just got a defective one, which can happen on any mass produced vehicle. Only one other person in this thread had a leaking boot, which was fixed under warranty.

OP
OP
Miggy

Miggy

Reaction score
Before I owned the Raptor I had a 2017 f-150 STX that was leveled. If you’re saying it’s the same CV joints why didn’t those fail and every other F-150 that has been leveled? CV boots should not fail if you level your truck otherwise you’d see widespread issues.