Crunch time: Gotta decide...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1DXmk2

Reaction score
If you are on the fence about it, and if you've not owned a truck before (or not had much experience driving one) and your decision to keep it or not is going to come down to a few mile test drive, I would be surprised if you do take delivery. A supercrew is not a small vehicle and this one is particularly wide. Your time during the test drive is likely to be spent worrying about turning tight corners, avoiding other cars, staying in the lane, etc. and not really appreciating the Raptor's outstanding qualities when compared to other trucks. Even for someone like me who has driven trucks for almost 40 years, the width of the Raptor can take a bit of time to get used to, particularly on narrow roads.

All that being said, if you want a truck, the Raptor is - no question about it - the most enjoyable truck you could own.

OP
OP
S

selo

Reaction score
If you are on the fence about it, and if you've not owned a truck before (or not had much experience driving one) and your decision to keep it or not is going to come down to a few mile test drive, I would be surprised if you do take delivery. A supercrew is not a small vehicle and this one is particularly wide. Your time during the test drive is likely to be spent worrying about turning tight corners, avoiding other cars, staying in the lane, etc. and not really appreciating the Raptor's outstanding qualities when compared to other trucks. Even for someone like me who has driven trucks for almost 40 years, the width of the Raptor can take a bit of time to get used to, particularly on narrow roads.

All that being said, if you want a truck, the Raptor is - no question about it - the most enjoyable truck you could own.
Thanks for the warning. I'll remember these points while I'm driving, and try to stay off busy or narrow roads.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
keep the GT..now what dealer are you backing out of the order with? :) lol

i told my wife i was going to get a new truck in the fall, she asked if i was trading in the Titan or the Porsche, the Titan honey, i dont need two pickups.

duke92

Reaction score
Same here Frank! My wife asked if I was getting rid of the Porsche. "No honey, the 911 stays!"

Homer Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traded a C7 Z06 in on my Raptor. Had a 2014 GT500 before the Z. So far the Raptor is my favorite of the three. It's still early on but I don't see that changing much. If I find I am missing some real speed I will pick up a 2011-2012 GT500 and mod it.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First of all I am not giving you your man card back. Sorry, come on, I am struggling to say MAN. Every man should own a pick up truck....
Are you kidding me? You realize that gas mileage concerns are for Hillary supporters and eco, hybrid driving morons. A 3 mile per gallon difference is going put a dent in your wallet?
You can use the Raptor, which is a bad ass truck everyday. The Shelby the way you use it I would be afraid to even fart in. Yes you CAN take the Raptor to Home Depot and come back with shit that would have never fit in your car trunk. You still going to have a stupid grin because you are going get at least a bunch of compliments from the customers and staff regarding the truck.
Yes you can wake up in the morning see the ****** forecast and smile, because you have the beast to drive not your prized tucked away Shelby. You can actually use the Raptor and enjoy it versus just weekend here and there cruises in the Shelby if weather permits you.
I am lucky to have both a sports car and the truck. Ever since I bought my first Raptor the Viper turned into the garage ornament. I force myself NOT to drive my truck every day.
Trucks in general hold their value pretty good. Awesome resale numbers for the Raptor trucks. Bigger market for buyers for trucks versus sports cars.
Now go drive the Raptor and stop worrying about stuff. ITs going to be an awesome experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

selo

Reaction score
Well.......couldn't do it.
I loved it, but not enough to make a change - not enough of a DD to replace my 7 series, not enough of a hot rod to replace my Shelby. Not enough time to only use as an awesome toy as intended.
I went in with my check book ready to make the deal, but after driving for a couple minutes knew it wasn't for me.
Ingot Silver/orange highlight interior 802a available at Rich Ford in Albuquerque.
Ask for Jeff Trujillo.
Thanks for all of your comments.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
So, you drive it? I'm in the process of ordering an Ingot. Never seen in person or driven one

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
within 48 hrs or so whether or not to take the unit I ordered:
Silver SCREW with orange highlight interior. 802a, cast wheels, no graphics. I saw it today, super nice.
Will be able to test drive before deciding Thursday.
Realistically, I should give up my 14 GT500 to make this happen.
Concerned about novelty wearing off if not taking it off-road much, and poor gas mileage.
Also concerned will miss three pedal action of Shelby.
What's the projected ability to re-sell a truck in near-perfect condition in 6 months if I'm not loving it? At the risk of sounding like a *****, never owned a pick-up before so just don't know if I'll love it.

Don't do it. The value of the Shelby GT500 is on the rise and is a vastly better investment. The Raptor will not hold value and I guarantee it will be a a long term disappointment.