Crash protection removed from Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

white_dc

Reaction score
Does the nonexistent crash bars apply to the gen 1s as well? Has there been any data collected on the gen 1 raptors in regards to crash safety?

09-14 F150 and 10-14 Raptors never had crash bars. Not sure why everyone feels they are getting short changed with the lack of crash bars, but the previous models never had them.

alot of 2015+ owners (myself inlcuded) have had to cut or modify the crash bars to clearance larger tires, wider wheels or aggressive offsets.

rocket

Reaction score
I'd be interested in what an auto safety design engineer would have to say abt this topic

I'd wanna ask about why the bars were removed, whether greater wheel articulation than standard models played a role

How the strengthened upper and lower control arms impacted the estimated crush rate of the front tires

Also the bumper and front skid plate design impacts offset crashes, if at all

I've engineered a bunch of other things over the years, and my gut tells me that if they engineered the suspension to take the kind of forces needed to jump this in the dessert, the amount of force the trucks can take in a frontal offset iihs test, would be at least equal to the regular f-150's

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
09-14 F150 and 10-14 Raptors never had crash bars. Not sure why everyone feels they are getting short changed with the lack of crash bars, but the previous models never had them.

This argument never works, how far back do you want to go

Let's do away with air bags, shoulder belts, disc brakes, etc

Previous models never had them

FFCars

Reaction score

alot of 2015+ owners (myself inlcuded) have had to cut or modify the crash bars to clearance larger tires, wider wheels or aggressive offsets.

who needs crash bars? This 2015 f150 screw didn't.

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 107

white_dc

Reaction score
This argument never works, how far back do you want to go

Let's do away with air bags, shoulder belts, disc brakes, etc

Previous models never had them

who needs crash bars? This 2015 f150 screw didn't.

Keep in mind the Regular cab 2015+ dont have crash bars either. Not sure why Ford did it that way, but I wouldnt be surprised if they show up in the 2018 Trucks.

Vince

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in what an auto safety design engineer would have to say abt this topic

I'd wanna ask about why the bars were removed, whether greater wheel articulation than standard models played a role

How the strengthened upper and lower control arms impacted the estimated crush rate of the front tires

Also the bumper and front skid plate design impacts offset crashes, if at all

I've engineered a bunch of other things over the years, and my gut tells me that if they engineered the suspension to take the kind of forces needed to jump this in the dessert, the amount of force the trucks can take in a frontal offset iihs test, would be at least equal to the regular f-150's

Spot on comment here. I agree.

Vince

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until we see a video of them crashing a gen2 raptor- it's all speculation. If the engineers could accurately predict what would happen in the crash tests, they wouldn't bother to crash test them.

Crash tests are a regulatory requirement. They test them because it is required by law. Independent organizations follow. Engineers can accurately predict what will happen to various materials in a crash with computer models no issue. Science!