Cost to Fun Ratio, Is It Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a question I have asked myself many times. Prior to rolling my truck, the most fun I had with it was with 3.0's and the rest of the normal mods. Then I took it to the next level, caged it with seats and harnesses. Now I had a truck that felt like I could drive it faster than the truck was actually capable of. Then I rolled it, you can all just imagine the amount of money that is in my truck now, it's so noisy you have to wear headsets Offroad, locker reared on the street and so on. Do like it, of course I do. I can run three foot whoops at 70 mph plus.
Now here lies the new problem. I go with other raptor owners with moderately modded trucks so I try and do runs that they also have fun on. Therefore my truck is overkill. If I had it to do over, I would have left it alone with 3.0's and been more than happy.

Wow!

Would you have bought something else instead, like a dedicated pre-runner or race truck or would you just be happy with the rap + 3.0s?

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't even got around to any serious thoughts on suspension upgrades. Still working on acquiring stuff for safety, survival, retrieval, get me home parts and how to store it all. That has to come first!

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor is nearly stock, with just a perch change, some recovery gear, and some lights.

It's that way because of lessons learned from going to far with a vehicle as I did with the Evo I had, which turned into >$70k spent in 3 years, on something that I paid $19k for.

At first, it was just simple bolt-on stuff and a fuel change.

Then I wanted a little more, so swapped turbos.

Then I had to have the driveline brought up to par to handle the new power.

Then I had the money and wanted more, so it went to a shop for a full engine/turbo etc build.

Then I wanted more still, and it went back in somewhere else for a ridiculous-to-have fuel system to support running basically straight alcohol(E98).

Then I found out that it WAS going to destroy parts of the driveline at that power level and there wasn't really anything I could do about it except fix it when it broke.

It also turned even a quick romp on the throttle into speeds high enough to be a mandatory license loss.

I parted out and sold the car last year.

It wasn't worth it.

For this reason, my truck will stay nearly stock. I went down that road with something else, and I regretted it when it was done. I live in MN and there's no where to go where I would need that level of investment anywhere nearby.

When I was looking at getting a job in the Southwest I decided that instead of building the Raptor, I would have picked up a ranger or something to make a prerunner out of. The cost would probably be similar, it would be more capable than the Raptor for that one task, and I could tow it out to wherever I wanted to play in comfort with the Raptor.

That said, I would like to pick up a bumpstop kit for the rear, which I look at more as insurance on being dumb mod than a performance one.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haha yep farm I do practice the art a lot lol.
1. Raptor runs
2. Hunt fish
3. Farming
4. Went on a vacation once that was fun
5. Flew an airplane