Correct Oil Dipstick Reading Process for Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine hasn’t seen the dealer since I picked it up new. I do everything on mine myself. I like knowing every bolt and washer and how it’s put together.. so far mine has performed perfect with the exception I had a throttle commander go bad and Put her in limp mode a few times. Took it off no more issues. I stay away from dealer unless it’s something really bad and a warranty issue. Unlike yourself I “don’t” trust dealers to be in our best interest. Just me.

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
Mine hasn’t seen the dealer since I picked it up new. I do everything on mine myself. I like knowing every bolt and washer and how it’s put together.. so far mine has performed perfect with the exception I had a throttle commander go bad and Put her in limp mode a few times. Took it off no more issues. I stay away from dealer unless it’s something really bad and a warranty issue. Unlike yourself I “don’t” trust dealers to be in our best interest. Just me.
I agree. Dealers are not knowledgable. They told me 1qt per 1k miles is normal [emoji23][emoji23]. Like cmon use some commons sense. Smh, that's why I have ford customer care involved now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check it like I stated above, fill it to full mark, now watch it for the next 2-3 thousand and see how she does. Stay away from dealer till you see what she’s doing. I don’ t think your burning as much as you think you are. Give it a try..

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
check it like I stated above, fill it to full mark, now watch it for the next 2-3 thousand and see how she does. Stay away from dealer till you see what she’s doing. I don’ t think your burning as much as you think you are. Give it a try..
Will do sir. So far based on my analysis from the oil change and TSB done I got completed at 8500 miles vs 10k miles as of yesterday. I have burned 1/2qt. So if that continues that will be 2.5 qts by the time my next oil change is due at 13k miles. On the paperwork I got, ford claims if you burn 1qt or more in 3k miles then its burning oil. So let's see, what do you consider the normal range per oil change (per 5k miles).

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AS yet I haven't added any oil between changes and I drive it pretty aggressively on and off road. I've gotten pretty close to a qt low a couple times though.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 40k ish. Burning about a qt per 1k. Pretty annoying and like someone stated earlier these aren't f1 cars. I shouldn't need to add 3qts of oil between oil changes. It'll be going back in this spring for another issue I'm still having. Glad I bought an extended warranty. Hope it lasts until the Gen 3 comes out

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
I'm at 40k ish. Burning about a qt per 1k. Pretty annoying and like someone stated earlier these aren't f1 cars. I shouldn't need to add 3qts of oil between oil changes. It'll be going back in this spring for another issue I'm still having. Glad I bought an extended warranty. Hope it lasts until the Gen 3 comes out
I would get that checked out. That is not normal at all under amy situation. Did you get your valve covers replaced?, 1qt per 1k is defintely an issue and can cause ur engine to take damage if there is not enough oil in it.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Started my oil consumption test @ 10,299 miles at the Dealer.

It failed.

Just had my valve covers replaced under TSB 19-2232 @ 13,516 miles.

I now have 14,297 or 781 miles since the valve cover replacement. I'm going to check my oil level tomorrow.

I do have a catch can and drained roughly 5 ounces of blow-by out of it in about 3,772 miles.

So is it one quart from bottom of top hole to bottom of lower hole?

The reason I'm asking is because the Dealer supposedly followed the TSB which is to fill up with 5 quarts then mark dipstick and then fill with last quart of oil. My mark on the dipstick is approximately 1/2 - 3/4" down from just below the bottom of the top hole.

I know when mine has a fresh oil change it does sit just below the bottom of the top hole which is exactly where it was when the Dealer filled it after the valve cover replacement.

Any links to folks getting a buy back when this issue isn't resolved?

I'll post a picture tomorrow of
1.) My marked dipstick
2.) Where my oil sits now, which should be good as I didn't notice any oil consumption until about 2,000 miles.
3.) Picture of my captured blow-by.

I'm really hoping that around another 1,219 or so miles or about 2,000 miles after the valve cover replacement the I no longer see my oil being consumed. Time will tell.

Last edited: