Correct Oil Dipstick Reading Process for Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Thought I would ask yall about the correct Oil Level Check process is as I am getting 2 diffrent readings. I am trying to understand what the correct process is as I have been diagnosed by the dealer for Oil Consunption issues.

Process #1- Run the Truck till operating temperature (150-200 Degrees Oil Temp after driving), turn off the truck on a level surface. I then wait 15min to let the truck cool down and then pull the dipstick and get this reading below (Right at the halfway mark)

The truck has had 1500 miles since the last oil change, and so it looks like it burned half a quart so far. Normal?

Process #2 - Run the Truck till operating temperature (150-200 Degrees Oil Temp after driving), turn off the truck on a level surface. I then wait more than 15min ( like 1 hour or so) since I was told by the dealer to let the truck sit for a while for ALL of the oil to drain down and get this reading below (Right at 3/4th and under the Max line on the dipstick)

Which is the right process and reading. I am confused on how the dealer says to wait way longer than what the Ford Manual says(15min). Not sure what the right process is.09bd770224de44be995bc754af2a9fcf.jpg2375df733e4f093c09f1dcdcdf8211cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
Wait 15 mins and check the oil level.
So why are people waiting for 1 hour to get a accurate reading. Also how could it be that off.

Also this is after oil change and valves covers done at 8500 miles and I check at 10k miles yesterday.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your oil before starting engine for the day. If it’s not down to the add line or lower hole, drive it like you stole it. When it gets to add line before it’s time for an oil change add a quart and drive it like you stole it. It’s that easy brother. Stop fretting and trying to be so tech-no. Check it cold and Keep the oil level between the lines and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
Check your oil before starting engine for the day. If it’s not down to the add line or lower hole, drive it like you stole it. When it gets to add line before it’s time for an oil change add a quart and drive it like you stole it. It’s that easy brother. Stop fretting and trying to be so tech-no. Check it cold and Keep the oil level between the lines and enjoy the ride.
I agree. That's what I've been doing. I already had the oil pressure light come one at 8k miles. Hence why I went to the dealer to do the TSB oil change and valve cover replacement and been monitoring it since then.

Even tho it's not leaking, I shouldnt have to add oil after every 1k miles, which i havent yet. Also dont want the engine oil pressure since to come back on again for low oil and blow up the engine :/

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
Also If you have to keep adding a quart then that's that's actually really bad. These are ecoboost engines not F1 racing cars that consume that much oil. If you check it people have gotten their engines replaced and bought back, hence why I asked about the oil dipstick process. I am going back to the dealer in 500 miles to see if it burnt any oil in the 1k miles I driven since last appointment.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understand, just wondering about excessive blow by in the engine. I have about 17000 on my 18 and use about 1/2 qrt of oil in 5000 mi. I change every 5g and catch can collects maybe 1-2 ounces consistently. On break in it will have a bit higher oil burning but should go down as things get wore in. If it were mine I would change the oil now to synthetic and continue breaking it in and monitor oil. I think you will be OK.

OP
OP
N

Nick_Rptr

Reaction score
Understand, just wondering about excessive blow by in the engine. I have about 17000 on my 18 and use about 1/2 qrt of oil in 5000 mi. I change every 5g and catch can collects maybe 1-2 ounces consistently. On break in it will have a bit higher oil burning but should go down as things get wore in. If it were mine I would change the oil now to synthetic and continue breaking it in and monitor oil. I think you will be OK.
Agreed. I just hit 10k yesterday hence why I checked. Would you say a full 10k is break in period and after 10k consumption should go down. My friend has a 2019 and at 5k miles it was down 3/4th-1 Quart which is where it suppose to be at. At 5k miles with 1/2qt that is super good and should be lucky. You basically blowing minimum amount of oil.

Ya I wish I could change to full synthetic. I usually do all my service at dealer because I trust them. If it still burning 1qt by the next service appointment I'll pursuit the buyback. Gone it 4+ times to the dealer to get it fixed already and cant deal with this anymore.