Correct Oil Dipstick Reading Process for Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My SO has a CRV. Honda says 1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable. BS. After having a new chain inserted for a $1000. Now she uses 1/2qt per 1000 miles.

FWIW my 18 uses no oil. Add 6qts at change, reads full. 5k later still reads full at next change. Guess I'm lucky.

Burning oil sucks!

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford the record....correct oil check procedure is get up to operating temp, and check after sitting 5 to 15 mins.

Think about it. You are on a road trip. you stop and get gas, so you check your oil. no one is going to let their car sit for an hour, or worse over night in order to check oil.

If you do check it after an over night sit, it will read about 1/2 quart high, because of all the drain back.

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine sits right below the top hole when oil is changed, 6 quarts.

That’s right where mine ends up.
Based on what my 5.4 did (asked for 7, only took 6 1/4), I only put 5 quarts in after my first change. It was a couple hashes below ‘Full’. At 6 quarts, run to temp and shut down for 15 minutes, it came to just below the hole. If I let is sit overnight, it’s right at the edge of the top hole.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
That’s right where mine ends up.
Based on what my 5.4 did (asked for 7, only took 6 1/4), I only put 5 quarts in after my first change. It was a couple hashes below ‘Full’. At 6 quarts, run to temp and shut down for 15 minutes, it came to just below the hole. If I let is sit overnight, it’s right at the edge of the top hole.

Interesting, because some people have stated that it's a quart between the max and min holes on the dipstick.

However the Dealer marked mine a few hash marks below full or max, just below the top hole, as shown in picture below although it was marked very sloppy.

20200219_180136.jpg
I was going to figure this out for myself by filling with 5 quarts of oil next oil change to actually see where it falls on the dipstick and will still do so but it appears what you've stated and where the Dealer marked mine is where 5 quarts of oil, 1 quart less 6 (full), is the same.

Raptor916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the only way to truly know if it's 1 quart between the 2 holes is to test it ourselves. I'm currently under the TSB and about to take it in Weds for my final check, about to hit 3,000 miles of driving. 10,000 total on the truck now. The guys at the dealership did not score the dip stick. They didn't follow any proper procedure. My truck is definitely eating oil, but lets see what goes down.

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, because some people have stated that it's a quart between the max and min holes on the dipstick.

However the Dealer marked mine a few hash marks below full or max, just below the top hole, as shown in picture below although it was marked very sloppy.

View attachment 139291
I was going to figure this out for myself by filling with 5 quarts of oil next oil change to actually see where it falls on the dipstick and will still do so but it appears what you've stated and where the Dealer marked mine is where 5 quarts of oil, 1 quart less 6 (full), is the same.

The high end of your 5qt Mark was about where mine was. The “after oil change” is just a little lower than mine was at 6qt after 15 min. Overnight drain back ends up just about touching the hole.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
So I checked my oil level on the dipstick a few minutes ago right after I got home from work, waited 15 minutes after engine shutoff.

It's sitting right at the top mark where the Dealer had marked the dipstick

My truck has 1,718 miles on it since the TSB: 19-2232 was completed. This means I still have an oil consumption issue, Fukushima fantastic!

I called the Service Manager to verify the TSB was in fact done on my vehicle as I was getting some conflicting stories when it was being worked on. Anyway I'm satisfied that they did the work.

I asked the Service Manager if he knew if it was one quart between the upper and lower hole on the dipstick and he stated he wasn't sure but thought when filled with 6 quarts the oil mark would sit in the middle of the dipstick, geewiz!

Anyways, I informed him that when filled with 6 quarts it sits just between the top hash marks and the bottom of the upper hole and where it's now sitting.

He said to drive it a little more to where it falls below the mark and then to bring it in and they will have to fill it with a measured amount and monitor the oil drop again.

He also stated that Ford has been chasing this for a while now and they use to have them change out the engine but they've stopped doing that to which I replied that the engine replacement is still being done as noted on this forum.

He said after they re-verify the oil drop that they'll have to contact Ford engineering to see what steps to take next.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
I found this on Google just now which is a relief.

I Googled "What does the difference between the upper and lower hole on a dipstick represent and it stated the following :

The owner's manual says that the oil level can be anywhere between the top mark and the bottom mark, so if it's a little below the top mark, it's not really low at all. The distance between the two marks represents a difference of one quart.Jan 5, 2008