Correct Oil Dipstick Reading Process for Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I checked my oil when the motor was stone cold from sitting 36 hours. It was about 1 cm above the top hole.

I rechecked when I got home from work, let it sit for 5 minutes, and it was about 1 cm above the top hole. I over filled by 1/2 quart it seems.

When hot, there is still some oil up in the engine, but... oil expands when hot.

I stuck my pneumatic drain hose down the dip stick and pulled one quart out....the oil was now dead square between the 2 holes.

Added a fresh 1/2 quart back in, and it was now at the top hole.

So to recap. Check Stone cold, or operating hot....you should see the same results.

bottom hole = 5 quarts............top hole = 6 quarts

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I checked my oil when the motor was stone cold from sitting 36 hours. It was about 1 cm above the top hole.

I rechecked when I got home from work, let it sit for 5 minutes, and it was about 1 cm above the top hole. I over filled by 1/2 quart it seems.

When hot, there is still some oil up in the engine, but... oil expands when hot.

I stuck my pneumatic drain hose down the dip stick and pulled one quart out....the oil was now dead square between the 2 holes.

So to recap. Check Stone cold, or operating hot....you should see the same results.

Agree with the 5 and 6 quarts position on dipstick.

Why in the heck the Dealer marked the line approximately 2 1/2 plus approximately 1 hash mark that isn't marked, so roughly 3 1/2 hash marks down from full to represent 5 quarts is beyond my comprehension.

It's a possibility they didn't need to replace my valve covers.

I just measured it earlier tonight and it was right at the top line of their mark, 3 1/2 hash marks down from full @ 1,726 miles since the TSB 19-2232 was completed.

Soooooo that gives me another 5 1/2 hash marks to go before being 1 quart low from full.or roughly 4,438 miles.

I'm on their Ford's oil blend so maybe if I rev. It hard on a good stretch I can get things to seal a little better, probably not but I've got nothing to lose.

I do plan on changing my oil every 5,000 miles so I wouldn't be adding much oil to keep the level in the safe zone but I sure hope the oil consumption settles down a little.

I do already have 15,242 miles on her so she's more than likely done sealing but a good mechanic at work who use to work on Fords said it could take as much as 10,000 to 12,000 miles to seat it completely since it's a high performance engine.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny how some of you lose your mind about where the position of oil is in between the marks.

It can be anywhere between that and be just fine.

recently filled mine with 6 quarts and looks a bit high.oh well. it ain't going to break

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
recently filled mine with 6 quarts and looks a bit high.oh well. it ain't going to break

This thread got me obsessing for no reason. I had just changed my oil over the weekend. And kept questioning myself over a job i have done a hundred times over the last 30 years.

There are times when people just need to relax and not over think it.

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That’s funny. Mine shows up almost exactly like the dealership marked @sixshooter_45 ’s, and I get a higher reading after a long draindown, again just like Ford says.

If the fill line is linear, based on the difference between my confirmed 5 and 6qt levels, the difference between the min and max dots would end up being somewhere just over two quarts.

If yours is almost a half inch over the max fill line, is it possible you’re frothing your oil, making it read a similar level after both a short and a long draindown? As the oil drains down, the level rises and, as the oil in the pan airs-out, the level drops, roughly offsetting each other.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread got me obsessing for no reason. I had just changed my oil over the weekend. And kept questioning myself over a job i have done a hundred times over the last 30 years.

There are times when people just need to relax and not over think it.

Or read these threads haha