Coolant Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its time for me to flush and fill... Thought maybe I would venture away from the Motorcraft Orange/Water Wetter and was looking at Engine Ice.
Has anyone used that product, and if so, what are your thoughts?
I have had zero issues with my current set up, but with the triple digits approaching here in TX, I thought I would look for something that may help with the heat.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently talked with a dealership about just that, and they are willing to put in the new green coolant that comes in the newer GEN2s; I believe they did the change over sometime in late 2018.

Since you're already thinking about engine temps, despite having no issues have you thought of upgrading the radiator or going to a 170 thermostat?

OP
OP
Canuck714

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting about the Green coolant being used. First I had heard of that.
As for the Rad and T-Stat. The Rad will get upgraded when I need to pull the engine for a freshen-up. I plan to keep this truck and know that it will need to get rebuilt at some point. 115,000 blower miles and counting.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
News to me. I bought a 2020 last month and it's ain't green ... kind of an odd yellow/orange donkey **** color.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/2019-raptor-coolant.66726/

There are two people in that thread with GEN2s that have Green, the rest say Orange, Pink or something else...I'm not going to try and figure out the discrepancy between vehicles more than it may be dictated by build date. I just asking them about a coolant flush and they said that the newer Raptors called for a specific type and and that it was green.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Water wetter is an anti-corrosive agent to be used in race vehicles where track rules specifically forbid the use of glycol coolant. It does nothing to aid in cooling, and very likely hinders it since water has better thermal properties and higher thermal mass carrying capabilut. The main difference between the funny color ford coolant and the traditional green is lifespan/amount of anti-corrosion additives.

Your best bet is to use the proper mix of water and the correct coolant concentrate for your freeze temp. You can find the mix ratios based on your regions coldest temp here: http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/ethylene.pdf

More on water vs coolant: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/glycol-or-water-coolant/

Last edited:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Heh, haven't see Engine ice mentioned since I got off riding motorcycles.

I feel the best way to go is to just stick with water/regular coolant

ADY

Reaction score
If you change the coolant type, be sure to flush the system. I read that adding green and orange coolant together can result in some reaction that causes the coolant to form think gel-like crap that will clog the radiator.