COBB tuning Raptor tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thor2j

Reaction score
Uhmm, that's the way it works on my 2017 Focus RS. If you disconnect the battery for several minutes to allow the capacitive volatile memory to bleed down, all that type of info is reset to zero. The way the dealer questions whether you "had" a tune on the vehicle is with the number of key cycles since last reset. The dealer can't read the previous tune data at all. Cobb is quite correct in their suggestion that if you're really concerned about your warranty, DO NOT install a tune. Pretty simple. The Cobb tune(s) aren't going to cause any engine damage, but other things may fail as they normally would and result in you wanting warranty service.

Basically, if you can't afford to pay, then don't play.
So you are saying if you add 50+ hp and or 75ftlbs tq there's no extra motor wear that may cause a failure prematurely????

That's comical.

Fyi, my focus rs is tuned. I'll take the chance.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are saying if you add 50+ hp and or 75ftlbs tq there's no extra motor wear that may cause a failure prematurely????…..

That is precisely what I'm saying. If you actually understood where the increased loads are applied, you wouldn't be so stupid.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you’re still in the market, we have COBB intercoolers, downpipes, AP3s, CAIs, High-flow filters, and AP3 mounts on the shelf and ready to ship out!

Thor2j

Reaction score
That is precisely what I'm saying. If you actually understood where the increased loads are applied, you wouldn't be so stupid.
You are the one that is completely clueless. Ask any engineer, or better anyone with any common sense, and they will tell you added stress equals premature wear.
If this were the case why wouldn't Ford just make a 500hp raptor. Would be a much better marketing tool. Hell why not 550hp, just turn the boost and timing ul. According to your brilliant logic it would last just as long. Man you are an idiot.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are the one that is completely clueless. Ask any engineer, or better anyone with any common sense, and they will tell you added stress equals premature wear.
If this were the case why wouldn't Ford just make a 500hp raptor. Would be a much better marketing tool. Hell why not 550hp, just turn the boost and timing ul. According to your brilliant logic it would last just as long. Man you are an idiot.

I am one of those guys, so... You know, the engineer with common sense...

Bless your heart.

You fuckwits don't keep a vehicle long enough to even understand what "premature wear" is and where it may actually occur.

Last edited:

Thor2j

Reaction score
I am one of those guys, so... You know, the engineer with common sense...

Bless your heart.

You fuckwits don't keep a vehicle long enough to even understand what "premature wear" is and where it may actually occur.

Go ahead , explain to us all if adding boost and timing to a motor has zero ramifications why doesnt Ford do it.....GO

Trackar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thor2j
Ford and most car manufactures will essentially over build their cars if they're smart. If the motor and other components limits were 500hp and they sell the cars or trucks with 500 hp theres very little margin for error... possibility for a lot of cars to break, in turn a lot of warranty work for them to cover.
Example, you can throw twin turbos on a new mustang GT it'll make 1000+ hp on a stock motor. Ford sells the cars making about 460, yet the motor can take 1000+, however at that point you're definitely stressing the motor. Find a middle ground at around 700-800hp with a supercharger and the motor isn't being stressed, it'll be fine. The Cobb tune is adding power, but also being very conservative. No where near enough to stress the motor to the point of "premature wear".

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Thor2j
Ford and most car manufactures will essentially over build their cars if they're smart. If the motor and other components limits were 500hp and they sell the cars or trucks with 500 hp theres very little margin for error... possibility for a lot of cars to break, in turn a lot of warranty work for them to cover.
Example, you can throw twin turbos on a new mustang GT it'll make 1000+ hp on a stock motor. Ford sells the cars making about 460, yet the motor can take 1000+, however at that point you're definitely stressing the motor. Find a middle ground at around 700-800hp with a supercharger and the motor isn't being stressed, it'll be fine. The Cobb tune is adding power, but also being very conservative. No where near enough to stress the motor to the point of "premature wear".

Well, at least there are some people on here that aren't fuckwits. @Trackar understands the concept and answered fuckwit2 quite admirably. I had decided I wasn't going to answer the "demand" by fuckwit2 because..., well just a *******.

I will elaborate just a little bit. Most engines in the past decades were built to a ~200% margin rule where the engine power could be increased by 150% without any added stress, providing the person doing wasn't a *******. Some engines were well beyond that, but not many. Anyway, in the most recent decade, Ford has cut that down to ~100% in the Ecoboost engines to get more power and economy from them at lighter weight, so increases above 75% are taking much of the margin away. If you look at all the different platforms data that Cobb OTS tunes, you'll notice that they add roughly 20-25% to the power output, so they are well within any stretch of "premature" anything. Their Pro Tuners will take it as far as you want to go, but beyond 75% will require beefier components like rods and pistons. The forged cranks are so stout, you wouldn't need to upgrade to aftermarket, just do the normal fine polishing, oiling passage chamfering and balance work.

edit: The OEMs will not tell you what I've just written above. They reserve the right to deny warranty for anything not OEM stock. That's normal business for all OEMs to protect themselves from fuckwits..

Last edited: