COBB tuning Raptor tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the 2018 Raptor needs a totally different tune than 2017 ?

The stock files are a different strategy code from Ford. The actual Tuning adjustments are essentially the same. For the Ecoboost engines, Ford has changed strategy codes several times during the same production year, so the stock file for your engine may be a different code. This is why MPT requires you to send your stock file to them before you get their tune. Mine required an update to the HPTuners software to read it.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

the most difficult thing on the 18+ raptors is tuning within the confines of the torque management programming as to not **** it off.

This is where all of the different " hot tunes" fall down. They could get it totally "right", only to realize that the combo of adaptive cruise, torque management and the tune create dangerous driveability issues in situations that would be impossible to test for.

that being said, I'm sure the HP software is all fine and good, but if the guys that spend 60 hours a week doing this and provide for their families based on the skills they have employed tuning cant get it perfect, what makes you think that a hobbyist with a remedial understanding of the most modern PCM strategies won't grenade their truck?

Feel free to be a space monkey, but we'll all be waiting for the " I blew up my raptor and cant afford a new engine" thread, inside which you'll complain about how terrible Ford's warranty policies are.

Good Luck!

No offense zombie, but you have no idea about what you speak here.

That said, if you don’t fully understand Tuning modern Load/Torque based ECUs then I certainly recommend against experimenting if you don’t have the resources to accept a setback. It really isn’t difficult once you can understand the basic principles. Many people think it is so difficult because they truely have no idea.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
The stock files are a different strategy code from Ford. The actual Tuning adjustments are essentially the same. For the Ecoboost engines, Ford has changed strategy codes several times during the same production year, so the stock file for your engine may be a different code. This is why MPT requires you to send your stock file to them before you get their tune. Mine required an update to the HPTuners software to read it.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

No offense zombie, but you have no idea about what you speak here.

That said, if you don’t fully understand Tuning modern Load/Torque based ECUs then I certainly recommend against experimenting if you don’t have the resources to accept a setback. It really isn’t difficult once you can understand the basic principles. Many people think it is so difficult because they truely have no idea.

please tell me how you understand the torque management variables completely.

Please tell me how you understand the torque management systems interaction with something as pedantic as adaptive cruise control.

Now tell me how you've seen every map, variable and interop "bug" over your tenure as a complex multi-system interaction development engineer.

Please tell me that YOU understand more about them all that the legion of ford engineers, successful aftermarket tuners, and ford performance engineers.

I'm all ears.

Start writing the dissertation.

When you're done, I'll read you in on the latest advances in DL/ML/AI.

I'm fairly well qualified in programming, and also pretty well versed on rocket engine telemetry, self-driving car algorithms, spatial computing and deep learning optimization engines.

But, you know, feel free to dabble and go all space monkey.

I promise to refrain from the dreaded " told ya so".

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never said I know "more" than the engineers, just that it isn't terribly complicated and the entire process expands from the basic formula/calculations. I've been doing it for ~50 years and no I can't say that I've seen "every" problem, because stupid is unlimited! Anyway, the ASE-type engineer's first concern is emissions, followed by fuel mileage. Every innovation in the last 50 years was driven by these two priorities. They are also two items that as aftermarket tuners, I (and those in business to take your money), don't care about.

Also, those people who "know programming" (language(es)) are basically desk jockeys who are required to speak in a "special" format to tell computers to do very simple tasks. It's only complex because there are many simple tasks required to perform basic functions, and it expands from there. My experience tells me that programmers are quite adept in their very limited field, but woefully inadequate in anything in the physical world. This phenomenon is what drives them to think that everything they deal with outside of their specific, focused area of very limited expertise is as completely dumbfounded as a computer with no specific instruction to function.

Everyone is not as limited as you perceive them to be...

AI is, well... not "I" at all. It is definitely "A" though. It's a fantasy comprised of folks like yourself ("programmers") who "tell" a computer what to do. A computer can be "seen" as intelligent when the processing power is immense, but it all comes down to what the "programmer" inputs or otherwise "tells" it to do.

The fact that your login name is "zombie killer" reflects your inner fantasies of being something "special", but unfortunately (for you), you're not.

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Never said I know "more" than the engineers, just that it isn't terribly complicated and the entire process expands from the basic formula/calculations. I've been doing it for ~50 years and no I can't say that I've seen "every" problem, because stupid is unlimited! Anyway, the ASE-type engineer's first concern is emissions, followed by fuel mileage. Every innovation in the last 50 years was driven by these two priorities. They are also two items that as aftermarket tuners, I (and those in business to take your money), don't care about.

Also, those people who "know programming" (language(es)) are basically desk jockeys who are required to speak in a "special" format to tell computers to do very simple tasks. It's only complex because there are many simple tasks required to perform basic functions, and it expands from there. My experience tells me that programmers are quite adept in their very limited field, but woefully inadequate in anything in the physical world. This phenomenon is what drives them to think that everything they deal with outside of their specific, focused area of very limited expertise is as completely dumbfounded as a computer with no specific instruction to function.

Everyone is not as limited as you perceive them to be...

AI is, well... not "I" at all. It is definitely "A" though. It's a fantasy comprised of folks like yourself ("programmers") who "tell" a computer what to do. A computer can be "seen" as intelligent when the processing power is immense, but it all comes down to what the "programmer" inputs or otherwise "tells" it to do.

The fact that your login name is "zombie killer" reflects your inner fantasies of being something "special", but unfortunately (for you), you're not.

Your plebian understanding of what I do and what computers do is really rather amusing.

And for the record, A.I. doesn't work so well if you don't tell the computer the correct answer first.

Even moderately advanced "A.I." can't make an inference on its own. This is why MAchine learning and deep learning are often attached to AI.

My expertise is on the "applied" side of development. (AKA the actual use of "designed" systems in the real world. In simpler terms, I'm the logical, applied science, "why would you make a thing that does this thing?".

Without my team, the "engineered", never left the office, no real-world experience brand of technology would be more prevalent in more industries.

As for my moniker, I've used the same one since AOL 2.0, if anything, continuing to use it just means I'm lazy and/or have better things to waste the brain power on that outweigh changing my online monker.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...My expertise is on the "applied" side of development. (AKA the actual use of "designed" systems in the real world. In simpler terms, I'm the logical, applied science, "why would you make a thing that does this thing?".

Without my team, the "engineered", never left the office, no real-world experience brand of technology would be more prevalent in more industries.

As for my moniker, I've used the same one since AOL 2.0, if anything, continuing to use it just means I'm lazy and/or have better things to waste the brain power on that outweigh changing my online monker.

LOL All Righty Then! Seems that MAYBE you're not the dweeb I had anticipated. As always, everyone is not as limited as you perceive them to be...

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my tuner contact Cobb too see the timeframe on the AP. They said hopefully end of summer but they also said they will be doing standard bolt ons (intake, exhaust, etc) for the Raptor Gen 2 as well. So that’s nice.

I’m coming from a Nissan GT-R and Cobb is a very trustworthy and quality brand. Looking forward to their product for the Raptor.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is that MPT Did a fine job tuning my truck and it’s piling up loads of trouble free miles.

please tell me how you understand the torque management variables completely.

Please tell me how you understand the torque management systems interaction with something as pedantic as adaptive cruise control.

Now tell me how you've seen every map, variable and interop "bug" over your tenure as a complex multi-system interaction development engineer.

Please tell me that YOU understand more about them all that the legion of ford engineers, successful aftermarket tuners, and ford performance engineers.

I'm all ears.

Start writing the dissertation.

When you're done, I'll read you in on the latest advances in DL/ML/AI.

I'm fairly well qualified in programming, and also pretty well versed on rocket engine telemetry, self-driving car algorithms, spatial computing and deep learning optimization engines.

But, you know, feel free to dabble and go all space monkey.

I promise to refrain from the dreaded " told ya so".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter