COBB tuning Raptor tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
complete and utter ********.

LMAO!

Higgs, I see you are on the corvette forum and raptor forum do you have any recommendations on who I should turn to for a tune for my Raptor? All stock throwing money at suspension(deavers)and brakes(R1 bbk) this 10 speed shifts like ass and I know there is more left in the tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t trust ole higgs on anything toooning related. I have both HP tuners and Cobb software and related hardware and higgs obviously doesn’t know shit about either.

I see him on HPTuners often so figure he knows more than I do!

I have HPTuners and see no reason and no benefit to buy an Ngauge. Also don’t want/need multiple tunes. So who do you recommend?

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMAO!

Higgs, I see you are on the corvette forum and raptor forum do you have any recommendations on who I should turn to for a tune for my Raptor? All stock throwing money at suspension(deavers)and brakes(R1 bbk) this 10 speed shifts like ass and I know there is more left in the tuning.

I'll send you a PM.

I wouldn’t trust ole higgs on anything toooning related. I have both HP tuners and Cobb software and related hardware and higgs obviously doesn’t know shit about either.

If you want to get dragged into deep waters you better know how to swim.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see him on HPTuners often so figure he knows more than I do!

I have HPTuners and see no reason and no benefit to buy an Ngauge. Also don’t want/need multiple tunes. So who do you recommend?

It really depends on whether you have any desire (at all) to do any tweaking or otherwise adjusting your own "tune" map(s). In the Raptor market the HPTuners software seems to be the most popular, so if you want something right away, then I prefer the MPT 93 PRT tune for the 3.5TT Raptor ECM and TCM. There are several other "tuners" that also sell their own version tune with the HPT software. If prompt customer support is a concern I recommend against 5Star. I currently utilize the nGauge device and the MPT "tune" until the Cobb AP is released for the Raptor.

I'm obviously biased to the Cobb at this point in my high performance tuning experience mainly because I started "tuning" way back when carbs/jetting, spark timing, and camshaft timing were the only methods available. Well before even the relatively crude piggyback/interceptor type devices were the "leading edge" tools. Even the HPTuners package is light years ahead of the piggybacks.

If you plan to learn more or otherwise adjust your own maps, then the Cobb setup will provide the better end-user capability along with their interface hardware and software. With Cobb, you get access to their own specific programming included in their more developed maps. With the AP hardware and AT software, you can turn on/off many minor and major tuning functions to include switching to purely Speed Density tuning rather than the OEM load/torque calculations if you're interested in mostly racing vs street. You can adjust/calibrate every sensor (MAF/MAP/KNOCK/Temps) utilized in the ECM. The only downside to the Cobb tuner is that it isn't available yet...

I'm reasonably sure that higgs has some experience with HPTuners, but more likely nothing with Cobb, so it is understandable that he prefers the HPT stuff. HPT is the better option for a "tuning" business because the tuner can purchase many "credits" to tune many vehicles with the basic software purchase. Nothing other than purchasing the software (and applicable credits) is required by HPTuners. Any idiot with the cash can buy it and "tune" your vehicle.

The full Cobb setup requires the tuner to adhere to certain tuning business principles, plus obtain and maintain the "Pro-Tuner" status, and purchase the license for the Pro-Tuner software. The Pro-Tuner and the end-user software have the same functionality, with the exception of the "locking" of maps for editing. The Pro-Tuner can lock their maps to prevent editing by users or other tuners. The end-user software is locked to a single device/vehicle, but fully editable by the end-user. Software updates to include any bug fixes or new capability is free.

All said, you will likely be happy with a simple OTS (off-the-shelf) tune from MPT. When you make your decision on what you want, I recommend you just go with it and don't ask other's opinions of it or other tunes. Opinions are like ********, everyone has one and they all stink... except mine of course.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

...If you want to get dragged into deep waters you better know how to swim.

LOL Ok, I really don't need to swim, I have a boat. I can still swim if necessary though.

Lots of big talk from a corvette owner. Reminds me of Mustang owners...

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that actually all makes sense to me. Thanks for the info.

I have to assume the MPT tune would be the same file type regardless of what HPtuner device I’m using.

Aaaand!!!! Hey now on the corvette owner there is no way in hell its as bad as the Mustang forum!!!!!:)

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
the most difficult thing on the 18+ raptors is tuning within the confines of the torque management programming as to not **** it off.

This is where all of the different " hot tunes" fall down. They could get it totally "right", only to realize that the combo of adaptive cruise, torque management and the tune create dangerous driveability issues in situations that would be impossible to test for.

that being said, I'm sure the HP software is all fine and good, but if the guys that spend 60 hours a week doing this and provide for their families based on the skills they have employed tuning cant get it perfect, what makes you think that a hobbyist with a remedial understanding of the most modern PCM strategies won't grenade their truck?

Feel free to be a space monkey, but we'll all be waiting for the " I blew up my raptor and cant afford a new engine" thread, inside which you'll complain about how terrible Ford's warranty policies are.

Good Luck!

WC114

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the 2018 Raptor needs a totally different tune than 2017 ?