Clutch Smell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen any topic on this for the GEN3, but on my first drive today in Manual mode, pushing a little, nothing super intense, but I could smell come clutch.

Truck has 1300 miles after it's delivery drive from Colorado to WA. Smell went away quickly.

Is this normal for "break in" or should I be concerned if I'm smelling some hot clutch on more "spirited driving" in manual mode?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Hard to smell it through the internet. But new engines, and vehicles in general have weird smells while braking in. That's the new car smell people talk about.

I would monitor the smells. If they continue to get worse take it to the dealer. Would also check all of your fluid levels, look for leaks. If no leaks and levels are good, full send.

Xiaofeng Mu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here with a R for 1300 miles. The more intense I drive the stronger the smell after parking in garage. Never noticed on my previous 21 35. The smell like something is burning and is stronger outside driver side engine bay, not too sure if it’s clutch.

OP
OP
A

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smelt like clutch to me. After I was rowing through the gears in manual mode I could smell it. Put it back in normal/sport and it went away.

Shifting felt fine. Truck sounds like a Nissan GTR. Too much fun!

I'll monitor and break it in "slowly"

Xiaofeng Mu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smelt like clutch to me. After I was rowing through the gears in manual mode I could smell it. Put it back in normal/sport and it went away.

Shifting felt fine. Truck sounds like a Nissan GTR. Too much fun!

I'll monitor and break it in "slowly"
1000 miles should be enough for break in per manual says.

OP
OP
A

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1000 miles should be enough for break in per manual says.

Yeah all those miles were just highway driving from CO to WA.

If it keeps happening next time I'm pushing it then I'll have it checked out.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most likely normal break-in smell. You’re heat cycling brand new components at over 1000 degrees F; any residue from manufacturing will begin to burn off.

There are no dry clutches in these transmissions, so that can be ruled out as a possible source.

OP
OP
A

AkamiNW

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely normal break-in smell. You’re heat cycling brand new components at over 1000 degrees F; any residue from manufacturing will begin to burn off.

There are no dry clutches in these transmissions, so that can be ruled out as a possible source.

OK, well--hope you're right. I only know the smell that I smelt as "burnt clutch" but hopefully you're right and it's just something else. Time will tell :)