Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thamac15

Reaction score
Based on all the feedback in this thread, those who had shocks replaced did not have the issue resolved.
This is a lower control arm mounting bolt issue (5/8” bolt, high torque, one time use) and a “fit” issue in the shock mounts. For reference, the Icon shocks fit in the mounts better and don’t clunk.
Someone, either in this thread or the General discussion section one, had the front right strut replaced recently and it resolved his clunking.

Last edited:

mully722

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on all the feedback in this thread, those who had shocks replaced did not have the issue resolved.
This is a lower control arm mounting bolt issue (5/8” bolt, high torque, one time use) and a “fit” issue in the shock mounts. For reference, the Icon shocks fit in the mounts better and don’t clunk.
I was hoping that Ford would have come up with a fix by now.

mully722

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not the shock. Although there are many people with noisy rear shocks including mine with were replaced...Its not the cause for the clunk that people are experiencing. It is unknown if this is fixed in the 2022 f-150s. This is not isolated to the Raptor alone. It is present in highly optioned f-150's as well. The irony in this is based on the eminent recall, the noise originates from a drivetrain part that was designed to suppress sound entering the cabin. Apparently it has come loose on 180,000+ f-150s and hits the driveline on uneven roads causing the knock. It also has cause some owners drivelines to break which can create a pole-vault experience. Effected owners should be receiving recall notices in the next 20 days. Assuming Ford is waiting on these notices so that they can send instructions and parts to dealers to resolve expeditiously, shortly after we will know if it solves the problem. For those with 22's on order, it would be reasonable to think that because Ford is aware of the issue, and is hopefully sending parts to dealers ahead of the recall, that they may actually be resolving this on the production line. But that is a big assumption which from a practical matter could be contrasted by supply chain. It may be easier for them to knowingly produce a defective truck, ship it to recognize revenue, and have the dealers resolve the problem through the bulletin.
I picked up a new Raptor last week with the recall work completed prior to delivery. The clunk is very present in my truck with only 300 miles so I don't think the recall and the clunking noise are related.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys realize that this “clunk” has been on every raptor since the raptor program launched 10+yrs ago? It is the lower control arm design, bolt, torque, and shock fitment to the mounts. Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? There are cam bolt kits available with the right 5/8” bolt, and you have to torque properly. I am really surprised nobody has researched this at all.
This is outright bs. This idiot doesn't even have a Gen 3 to know what he is talking about.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is outright bs. This idiot doesn't even have a Gen 3 to know what he is talking about.
Exactly. How would he have any idea?

There are multiple Gen 3 owners who previously owned a Gen 2 and the consensus among those that are experiencing the clunk noise is that it was not present on Gen 2.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There are multiple Gen 3 owners who previously owned a Gen 2 and the consensus among those that are experiencing the clunk noise is that it was not present on Gen 2.
Fully agreed. I had 2 Gen 1s and 3 Gen 2s. Not one had any vibration or clunk at all. Not a chance I just got lucky.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the only clunking I have on my gen2 with 11k miles is from the ICON leaf springs. they know they clunk, wont provide a fix even though they updated the design and they wont replace without a broken leaf. Leafs were put on at 2k miles, there ever since.