Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is outright bs. This idiot doesn't even have a Gen 3 to know what he is talking about.
Count yourself lucky that you did not get the clunk. It was on the gen 1, some gen 2 reports, and now the gen 3. This is why I showed you the links to the cam bolt kits and showed the evidence that the Icon shocks have a tighter fit to the mounts. If you don't have the issue, then no problem for you. I am trying to help those who don't understand or know about the problem.

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count yourself lucky that you did not get the clunk. It was on the gen 1, some gen 2 reports, and now the gen 3. This is why I showed you the links to the cam bolt kits and showed the evidence that the Icon shocks have a tighter fit to the mounts. If you don't have the issue, then no problem for you. I am trying to help those who don't understand or know about the problem.
what link? I don't see anything available for gen 3 yet

BellHeli407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine seems to be the front and the back even after new rear shocks going slow through a parking lot you can hear the front and then the rear going over the same bump

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
I still dont know the source of my clunk, but I do know it is not the cam bolts on the front shocks. Why do I know this? If you go back to my original diagnostic post on this thread, the dealer put electronic ears on all suspension parts and drove the truck. The front shocks, the from control arms and the front sway bar did not make any sounds when the cluck was heard in the cabin. If it was the front cam bolt it would have been heard. That same test heard excess sound coming from the rear shocks which was reproducible when jumping up and down on the rear bumper. After replacing the rear shocks the rear is quiet but the clunking in the front is still present. It is incredibly difficult to diagnose the root cause of the problem when you 1) have the actual truck with the problem, and 2) have equipment to test it. Therefore anyone who joins the thread adamant that they know what the problem is without hearing it or experiencing it a Gen3 may have good intentions but will unlikely be correct. With that said, the sound is so annoying and those that have it are desperate at this point, so anyone with additional ideas, they are still welcome.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only clunk I had on my Gen2 was the sway bar links clearly coming from the front and they didn't start clunking until 30k miles. replaced and gone. The Gen3 I just got had it as soon as I left the dealer. 50 miles and sure enough its there. Difference this time I cant tell it seems to be moving. sometimes back, front, right and left. I cant seem to pinpoint it. my uneducated guess is bad design shocks or bushing where they attach. as I go over bumps depending on where the bump is thats where the sound is coming from.

Last edited:

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I’ve said before. Mine is in the front, it’s possible it could be the shocks but I really think it’s the front driveshaft coming out of the transfer case. That would make sense that high trim regular F-150s clunk as they have the auto transfer case option now too, right?

I still haven’t take mine in as I don’t feel confident my dealer will resolve without some more guidance from the trailblazers here. My 2nd gen was silent.