Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
after having mine replaced and being able to enjoy the truck as it’s meant to be, all I can think is how Ford hasn’t done a recall on these shocks instead of a TSB. The sheer number of threads, this one alone at almost 100 pages, shows how prevalent this issue is and it’s killing the Raptor lineage for some folks who are just too fed up to go through the process.
All 4 or just rears?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Killing the image, a logical person would question Fox’s reputation, not Fords
But people aren't logical. Tough to be in Ford's position, at the mercy of suppliers and dealers. All the more reason that they handle the problem promptly and with class .... perhaps there's room for improvement. Someone with balls needs to go slap the crap out of a few bean counters if you ask me.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But people aren't logical. Tough to be in Ford's position, at the mercy of suppliers and dealers. All the more reason that they handle the problem promptly and with class .... perhaps there's room for improvement. Someone with balls needs to go slap the crap out of a few bean counters if you ask me.
You also can’t blame anyone but Ford because they won’t even tell us what the true issue is. They’ve left it up to the consumer to figure it out. Fox owes us nothing, it’s Ford who needs to save face and do right by their customers.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You also can’t blame anyone but Ford because they won’t even tell us what the true issue is. They’ve left it up to the consumer to figure it out. Fox owes us nothing, it’s Ford who needs to save face and do right by their customers.
What am I missing here…they identified the cause and issued a TSB with new parts. If you have a clunk noise, you bring it in for that symptom and the dealer performs the TSB.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A friend that works at a nearby Ford dealer told me his contact said Fox screwed up and trapped a bunch of air in the shocks. That allowed for a momentary hi speed piston movement and oil flow which was shutting off internal valving creating a really hard shock compressor damping. Don’t have any backup proof, just what he said.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What am I missing here…they identified the cause and issued a TSB with new parts. If you have a clunk noise, you bring it in for that symptom and the dealer performs the TSB.
Did they though? I don’t remember ever seeing what is exactly wrong with a faulty shock, just that it might be faulty if there’s a clunking noise and to have it replaced. The TSB is also subjective to the dealer hearing the noise or even being willing to put chassis ears on the suspension to identify the noise. There have been a number of guys who go to the dealer and the dealer doesn’t hear anything or wont go the extra step of putting the chassis ears on. That then requires the customer to either go to another dealer or record a video with their own chassis ears.

A recall would resolve all the work the customer has to do to prove they’re hearing the clunk and that’s not something we should be doing on a brand new $100k truck. Ford knows more than they’re letting on about these shocks and they’re either bound by an NDA to not disclose the fault or are refusing to disclose it so they don’t have every owner of a 21-22 and early ‘23 models getting them replaced. Leaving it as a TSB with subjective wording like “hearing a clunk” puts the onus on the customer and dealer to come to the same conclusion and to me that’s messed up.

It should either be a straight recall/replacement, or Ford comes out and tells the dealers exactly what to “Look” for, not hear. Hearing is diagnosing a symptom but not identifying what the true problem is.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did they though? I don’t remember ever seeing what is exactly wrong with a faulty shock, just that it might be faulty if there’s a clunking noise and to have it replaced. The TSB is also subjective to the dealer hearing the noise or even being willing to put chassis ears on the suspension to identify the noise. There have been a number of guys who go to the dealer and the dealer doesn’t hear anything or wont go the extra step of putting the chassis ears on. That then requires the customer to either go to another dealer or record a video with their own chassis ears.

A recall would resolve all the work the customer has to do to prove they’re hearing the clunk and that’s not something we should be doing on a brand new $100k truck. Ford knows more than they’re letting on about these shocks and they’re either bound by an NDA to not disclose the fault or are refusing to disclose it so they don’t have every owner of a 21-22 and early ‘23 models getting them replaced. Leaving it as a TSB with subjective wording like “hearing a clunk” puts the onus on the customer and dealer to come to the same conclusion and to me that’s messed up.

It should either be a straight recall/replacement, or Ford comes out and tells the dealers exactly what to “Look” for, not hear. Hearing is diagnosing a symptom but not identifying what the true problem is.
Where are you seeing that all 21/22 and early 23 all had bad shocks. If that was the case, I would agree. But I think it’s not all trucks. I would bet Fox gave them some bad batches and Ford can’t track it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where are you seeing that all 21/22 and early 23 all had bad shocks. If that was the case, I would agree. But I think it’s not all trucks. I would bet Fox gave them some bad batches and Ford can’t track it.
Do a voluntary recall, put chassis ears on, and check. If they're noisy, replace them and have Fox rebuild the ones you pull off. Or have the dealer rebuild them. Use those to replace other bad shocks. Explain what you're doing and why. The shocks are designed to be rebuilt. If someone is happy with their truck and doesn't bring it in, it's probably got good shocks. That gets all of the problem vehicles off the road and helps Ford's reputation. Right now they're handling it the same way as too many other companies - make it such a pain in the áss that half of the customers give up in frustration. The fly in that ointment is that very few of those customers will ever buy a Ford again.