Clunk From Chassis: Can you help me diagnose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustler

Reaction score
Please help me diagnose this noise!

Video of the noise from inside the cab (I'm going to try to get a buddy to stand on the side of the road next and get some video from outside too):

Truck Details: 2018 Raptor, ~30k miles, bone stock, garage kept, appropriately used.

Description of issue: For some time now I have been experiencing an unpleasant and definitely abnormal "clunk," or perhaps you might describe it as a rattle. It happens when going over bumps or irregularities in the road. You hear it more at low speed, although that could just be because road noise masks it at higher speed. It tends to be on smaller, sharp edged features like seems in the road, rocks, washboard. It does not make the noise when the suspension compresses over a big undulation or dip in the road. There is no discernable driveability or performance issue with the suspension.

History: I raised this with the dealer a year ago, a tech rode in the truck with me, confirmed it was an irregular noise, and diagnosed it as an issue with the front shocks after consultation with Ford. The front shocks were replaced under warranty. The chassis was quiet for a few days, maybe a week, and then the noise came back. Interestingly, in the extreme cold (like below 0), it is quiet. It seems to have gotten worse as temps have warmed.

Happy to provide any additional info. I welcome the group's thoughts. Thanks!

jpizzelnizzel

Reaction score
I had a similar issue yesterday with my 2012. Not sure if yours is doing the same. I swapped out the plastic vacuum line for a rubber one cause it had a slight leak and was sorta slipping into 4 wheel drive mode instead of staying place in 2 wheel drive mode.

970rap

Reaction score
Mine didn't do it nearly this much (or maybe you were on a rough road), but my sway bar end links were deemed 'bad' and replaced under warranty. I was experiencing abnormally loud clunks from the front when going over sharp yet very minor cracks, manhole covers, etc.

OP
OP
Rustler

Rustler

Reaction score
Mine didn't do it nearly this much (or maybe you were on a rough road), but my sway bar end links were deemed 'bad' and replaced under warranty. I was experiencing abnormally loud clunks from the front when going over sharp yet very minor cracks, manhole covers, etc.
I was on a dirt road in the first part, and a paved road in the second part. It's pretty darn annoying, and definitely taking away from my enjoyment of the truck to hear that constantly.

I have been wondering about the end links myself. I'll put it on some ramps and have a look under there later.

Any wisdom on what to look for in "bad" end links? Can you test them while suspension is loaded or do I need to get the wheels off the ground?

Searched "End Links" and came up with this thread: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/end-links-loose.68100/page-2

Seems like that may be it. Happy to hear other input though.

Last edited:

zudnic

Reaction score
Another one for sway bar links. I took my 2019 to the dealer for a similar sound. He said the links were good. I spent an hour under the truck with rubber mallet trying to find the noise and I couldn't. I finally brought it back and had them change the links. Guess what...noise went away. My were covered under warranty. But even if they're not it's a pretty cheap fix

Reaction score
+1 for links.

If you’re mechanical inclined, remove your sway bar links and zip tie the sway bar to the skid plate in the center of the truck, there is a spot where the sway bar tucks nicely with the plate then zip tie it. I ended up removing my sway bar all together because the truck is able to work the way it was designed, maybe I’m wrong but I’d waiver the sway bar was added as a DOT regulator. Dealers take waaay too long to diagnose and if I can fix it without sending it I will, but that’s just my experience with the dealers in my area.

ALSO, you said it was temp sensative, could be a long shot BUT it’s possible the lower shock bolts were not properly torqued. We all know metal contracts with cold and expands with heat. Could be possible that the torque is ALMOST there enough that cold weather snugs it just enough to keep from pissing you off then the warmth happens and sends you over the edge lol.

Video diagnosis is hard enough but hopefully this can help. Good luck and keep us posted!