Clear Bra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noblesramair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just stating the clear bra should send you a piece is all no biggy if they don't. mine is sprayed on so if I get a chip all of it's covered, I agree my fault my responsibility. but why not ask for a piece do it yourself if they are good it will be in the mail. probably could have taken it off the old mirror and put it on the new one.

I gotcha, makes sense. Either the company doesn't have to but ya it would be good customer service if they did, thats why i know my installer would've done something that he didnt have to just for customer service. But like the OP said its not really a huge deal.

I got a full coverage quote for XPEL Ultimate.... wait for it: $8500. Yikes.

Probably just do the opticoat stuff and some partial coverage.

Last time I did full coverage (911 racecar) it was ~2800. Guess there's a lot more material on the Raptor :)

Was that quote through the same installer? I've found prices can be pretty different between installers. I knew a mobile installer when I lived in texas that did very high end cars but still charged very reasonable fees compared to other more popular shops. He used the exact same type of clear bra and charged $3500 to do cover my entire CTSV but the local shop wanted over $6K to do it! So you definitely need to shop around and make sure your getting quality film at the same time.

x-ray

Reaction score
Was thinking about Waxing her once the paint is cured. Should I do a bra before or after waxing should I go this route? Any other waxing concerns? I assume once an area has been covered in a bra there is no need to ever address that area?

The paint is cured when the truck rolls out of the factory. No need to wax/seal the truck before clear bra. The installer should wash the truck and decontaminate it (clay bar) before installing clear bra. In some cases the paint may need to be polished before clear bra depending on the condition because what ever the paint looks like before the bra, it will look like that after the bra and you can't "fix" it without removing the clear bra. After cleaning and any polishing, they usually wipe the vehicle down with isopropyl alcohol to remove any oils etc that would prevent or hinder good adhesion of the clear bra film to the paint.

After the clear bra is installed, using a sealant or "coating" will help keep the bra and the uncovered paint protected. There are numerous choices depending on budget, paranoia/enthusiasm level. Use a paint sealant at least, not a "carnauba wax" as they last much longer than traditional wax.

X

vr4henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotcha, makes sense. Either the company doesn't have to but ya it would be good customer service if they did, thats why i know my installer would've done something that he didnt have to just for customer service. But like the OP said its not really a huge deal.

Was that quote through the same installer? I've found prices can be pretty different between installers. I knew a mobile installer when I lived in texas that did very high end cars but still charged very reasonable fees compared to other more popular shops. He used the exact same type of clear bra and charged $3500 to do cover my entire CTSV but the local shop wanted over $6K to do it! So you definitely need to shop around and make sure your getting quality film at the same time.

Ah, I actually moved from VA->CA since then. (so, definitely different shops). The 2nd local quote I got was 6500 + more after they do measurements for doors.
Looks like I need to find an inside hookup somewhere in NorCal if I want to do much.

For $8500, I think I'd be hard pressed to lose that much in resale after ~5 years unless I just destroyed the paint on trails. I bet that much abuse would even tear up the clearbra, so these guys seem a bit silly to me. :ROFLJest:

noblesramair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I actually moved from VA->CA since then. (so, definitely different shops). The 2nd local quote I got was 6500 + more after they do measurements for doors.
Looks like I need to find an inside hookup somewhere in NorCal if I want to do much.

For $8500, I think I'd be hard pressed to lose that much in resale after ~5 years unless I just destroyed the paint on trails. I bet that much abuse would even tear up the clearbra, so these guys seem a bit silly to me. :ROFLJest:

O ya your paying some CA tax there for sure lol! I lived in CA for a while (southern CA) but left after I got tired of paying what it costs to live there but southern and northern CA is beautiful. I'm sure theres someone out there that will be a bit more competitive on price but like you said its going to be way more to cover this type of vehicle just because of the amount of material involved.

I'm sure the clear bra would hold up fairly well against the abuse or at least definitely better than a ceramic coating but no doubt its going to cost ya!

Hal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O ya your paying some CA tax there for sure lol! I lived in CA for a while (southern CA) but left after I got tired of paying what it costs to live there but southern and northern CA is beautiful. I'm sure theres someone out there that will be a bit more competitive on price but like you said its going to be way more to cover this type of vehicle just because of the amount of material involved.

I'm sure the clear bra would hold up fairly well against the abuse or at least definitely better than a ceramic coating but no doubt its going to cost ya!

At the same time, Raptor has a lot of relatively flat areas. Much easier than some of the sharp lines, nooks and crannies on many sports cars. The bulk of the cost is labor and I'm betting it's much easier and faster to expel a Raptor than many sports cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

noblesramair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the same time, Raptor has a lot of relatively flat areas. Much easier than some of the sharp lines, nooks and crannies on many sports cars. The bulk of the cost is labor and I'm betting it's much easier and faster to expel a Raptor than many sports cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That reminds me about when I was talking to my clear bra guy a little while ago and I said man I bet its hard doing lambos and what not when he was doing my CTSV and he said actually they are easy bc the major parts of the car was flat (similar to my CTSV). He said the harder cars where the newer mercedes because of all the curves.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the coverage and the actual product.

Expel ultimate is one of the best films. 3M is thicker but has a history of yellowing after a few years especially obvious on white paint.

If $750 covers the entire hood and some other stuff, that is a great price. I have been quoted $1500 for full hood, fenders, mirrors and bumper. Basically from the front to the doors.

X

We have had 3m clear bra on a white wrx for 5 years now with zero yellowing

jrrhoad

Reaction score
Anyone had experience with clear bras? My tint guys said the Raptor is like a 36 piece kit and takes a good 5 hours to install for around $750. Thoughts on this type of protection?
Did you end up getting this done? Working in Cali but will be back in AZ for a few days at the end of the month. Might be looking for a place for tint and a clear bra while in town.