Cheap tailgate lock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was talking to somebody about a tailgate lock, and he said you can secure it with a $0.80 hose clamp. Slide it on the side in the gap & tighten it down. Then twist it around with pliers so the screw head can't be seen, down away from you. He said crooks can't get it off quick enough & give up. What do you all think?

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one on mine. It's cheap insurance and only takes a minute or two to install

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking to somebody about a tailgate lock, and he said you can secure it with a $0.80 hose clamp. Slide it on the side in the gap & tighten it down. Then twist it around with pliers so the screw head can't be seen, down away from you. He said crooks can't get it off quick enough & give up. What do you all think?

never heard of that... you got any pics Doc or Nick?

OP
OP
blockdoc

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is from a Toyota site - just one I found quickly by searching for hose clamp tailgate lock. My friend said to rotate the screw around where you can't get to the head of it, and the only way to remove it is either use pliers & rotate it back, or cut it off.

View attachment 13262

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just using a normal hose clamp. This was basically a "why not?" addition that I did immediately after buying the truck. I installed it from the top, but then rotated the clamp and tightened it from the bottom. The only way to remove it is by laying under the truck and using a long screwdriver. It is not difficult to defeat, but I doubt that most thieves would bother figuring it out and removing it. I try not to park my truck anywhere someone will have an opportunity to do something like that without drawing attention. I now have an automatic tailgate lock that makes this a bit redundant, but see no reason to remove it.

7yty9eby.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought the unit from SDHQ. It's much more substantial than a hose clamp, and takes a monster Torx driver to install and remove instead of just a flathead screwdriver.

Truck Tail Gate Protector

Ruger, you got more info on that one? Been looking for one and I'm contemplating the SDHQ one or the Masterlock.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Humvee21, there really isn't more to tell. It comes in a package, you open the package, lower your tailgate, unscrew a big Torx fastener, and mount the SDHQ tailgate keeper with the Torx fastner. Done. It's not even a one-beer job, and it makes the tailgate impossible to steal unless you have the key to the tailgate lock and you have an unexpectedly large Torx wrench. See the link.