GEN 2 Center speaker grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their center speaker grill? I am thinking about replacing mine. Noting wrong with the one I have, but it kind of annoys me that it says "Sony" on it when there is no longer Sony speakers in the vehicle. I was thinking about getting a spare using some sort of fill for the lettering, and then painting it a grey or black to match interior.

I found this on line.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...tMTUwJnk9MjAxNyZ0PXJhcHRvciZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

Looks right by the instrument panel explosion, but the actual image of the part isn't exactly clear. Almost looks like it's a plastic/fabric piece that will fit in the same location. I don't mind that either though, if it doesn't say Sony or anything else.

As a side note, for anyone who's taken out their center speaker, have you re purposed that spot for anything?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
As a side note, for anyone who's taken out their center speaker, have you re purposed that spot for anything?

if the big one comes, I’m stuffing a pintle in there and running the belt fed right from the cab. I’ll solenoid activate the trigger and run the button on to the steering wheel.

But until the big one I’ll keep the MG in the bed, with the tripod affixed to the tie downs. I’m not sure what you could get in there that would be usable.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, my first thought is to place a microphone underneath the grill. I've got the PX6 installed and I do want to use voice control with it (if I ever get it to work) and that seems like it would be a good place for an external mic.

Only the same lines, you could place an Echo Dot or Google Mini underneath there. That would likely be better as far as microphone pickup, but you would could only hear responses if your audio input is bluetooth or aux. And you'd have to provide power. (I've done something simiar in my backyard. Got some cheap outdoor speakers, gutted them, and placed an echo dot where the woofer would be. Works well).

Maybe the best option is to use it to hold a told tag. My previous vehicle had a compartment there where I placed the toll tag and it worked flawlessly. Or perhaps just a hidden compartment for valuables, if you rig it so the grill comes up easily.