CarPlay navigation constantly messes up directions and location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
It has to be the iPhone. CarPlay, Waze Google Maps are all run from phone. Your truck does nothing but transfers it via WiFi (i.e your phone is just displayed to truck display). See if it does the same not connected to truck at all.
This is not true. If there is vehicle GPS data available, Carplay will use it. GTS

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
You can test and see GPS yourself:
  1. Drive due North (or any direction) with CarPlay/Apple Maps
  2. Stop car and put in Park, notice Triangle pointing North
  3. Unplug iPhone and open Apple Maps on iPhone
  4. Get out of car and walk 20 paces due West, notice Triangle pointing due West
  5. Turn and walk back to car, notice Triangle pointing due East
  6. Get in and as you plug in Triangle will still be pointing due East on iPhone screen
  7. When CarPlay screen comes on it MAY (mine does) still be pointing due East
  8. Within a second or 2 it will connect back to the car’s GPS/position and point due North

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
OP: I'm also having this exact same problem in my new '23. I'd argue that it *has* to be the truck given that I never had this issue with Car Play using the exact same phone in two other vehicles (Gen 2, and a Tacoma).

Ruling out variables for troubleshooting purposes does not fit the preferred narrative.

Lxg44

Reaction score
From a troubleshooting approach I would reboot the phone first. Complete shutdown & restart. This fixes 75% of the glitches with an iPhone. Second does the same problem occur when plugged into the data port in lieu of the wifi connection? This way you can possibly isolate what is causing the issue.
Just a suggestion.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
From a troubleshooting approach I would reboot the phone first. Complete shutdown & restart. This fixes 75% of the glitches with an iPhone. Second does the same problem occur when plugged into the data port in lieu of the wifi connection? This way you can possibly isolate what is causing the issue.
Just a suggestion.
Also can remove the profile from CarPlay (Settings/General/CarPlay) and start over. I have to do this when phone will not connect with wireless and USB. This fixes stuff for me.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP: I'm also having this exact same problem in my new '23. I'd argue that it *has* to be the truck given that I never had this issue with Car Play using the exact same phone in two other vehicles (Gen 2, and a Tacoma).
Not every device and software version is compatible with every infotainment system. For a valid comparison you’d need to try your device on another 2023 with the same version of Sync 4.

OP
OP
ChrisMcP05

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All-
Thanks for all the responses here. Helpful as I’m sorting through them. Some Ed context:

- I’ve recently updated the iPhone software and Waze / google maps / Apple Maps works perfect when not synced to CarPlay with the truck.
- once synced, the map will constantly throw off coordinates, so I assume there is something tied to the truck gps as someone mentioned above. Any other thoughts on this?
- I’m going to disconnect the phone from the truck and reprogram to see if this changes and will update here again.

Thanks for the help here. Really irritating issue to have (especially when navigating places out of town).

DinoJuice

Reaction score
Not every device and software version is compatible with every infotainment system. For a valid comparison you’d need to try your device on another 2023 with the same version of Sync 4.
That depends on what you're trying to solve. I was simply trying to point out that the "it has to be the phone -- the truck plays no part in the matter" angle shouldn't be 100% gospel given the simple fact that the phone GPS functions perfectly fine absent of the truck.

Now, maybe there is a compatibility issue, sure. But there is no way the truck is simply projecting whatever my phone is doing into CarPlay because it doesn't have this issue when it's not connected.