CarPlay navigation constantly messes up directions and location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

I have a 2023 Gen 3, and when connected via car play (Apple), Waze, google maps, Apple Maps and other gps direction programs constantly mess up direction and rerouting (it doesn’t know where I’m located and freezes up, thinks I make turns where I haven’t, or puts me as going backwards on the map). This only happens when connected to CarPlay, as the phone itself won’t have this happen on the apps when used disconnected from the car.

Has anyone else had these navigational problems with CarPlay? Any thoughts as to why this might be?

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
It has to be the iPhone. CarPlay, Waze Google Maps are all run from phone. Your truck does nothing but transfers it via WiFi (i.e your phone is just displayed to truck display). See if it does the same not connected to truck at all.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It has to be the iPhone. CarPlay, Waze Google Maps are all run from phone. Your truck does nothing but transfers it via WiFi (i.e your phone is just displayed to truck display). See if it does the same not connected to truck at all.
I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the iPhone. There was a similar problem in Jen Too trucks, which only have wired car play. That issue was first blamed on iPhone, then IOS, and I believe we got a SYNC 3 fix issued for it.

Anyone remember that one?

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the iPhone. There was a similar problem in Jen Too trucks, which only have wired car play. That issue was first blamed on iPhone, then IOS, and I believe we got a SYNC 3 fix issued for it.

My point is the phone is basically transferring the info. CarPlay, is on the phone, not the other way around.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score

He said the apps were messing up, therefore it is 100% the phone, not the truck. The apps do not exist on the truck.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
We don’t know that yet.

He is the only one making the complaint right now, but the Jen Too folks had it en masse. Waze was a primary culprit in one instance. In that case it was software.

Here, there could be a cable issue, port issue on the truck, software issue, the phone may need to be restarted, sync may need to be reset.

Not enough facts to know for sure at this point.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
We don’t know that yet.

He is the only one making the complaint right now, but the Jen Too folks had it en masse. Waze was a primary culprit in one instance. In that case it was software.

Here, there could be a cable issue, port issue on the truck, software issue, the phone may need to be restarted, sync may need to be reset.

Not enough facts to know for sure at this point.
Not trying to start a quibble here, but it is 100% the phone. The apps he indicates are simply not on the truck or have anything to do with the truck. Now could be something interfering with the phone, but what you see displayed on CarPlay is coming from the CarPlay portion within iOS (Audio and display). The truck is simply displaying the iOS in "CarPlay" Form.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start a quibble here, but it is 100% the phone. The apps he indicates are simply not on the truck or have anything to do with the truck. Now could be something interfering with the phone, but what you see displayed on CarPlay is coming from the CarPlay portion within iOS (Audio and display). The truck is simply displaying the iOS in "CarPlay" Form.
It could be a iOS 16.xx interface problem with Sync 4, but nonetheless, it's still an iPhone problem.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
ok, whatever. It’s not like I’ve ever troubleshot a network issue or anything.

DinoJuice

Reaction score
OP: I'm also having this exact same problem in my new '23. I'd argue that it *has* to be the truck given that I never had this issue with Car Play using the exact same phone in two other vehicles (Gen 2, and a Tacoma).