CarPlay navigation constantly messes up directions and location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
At the risk of further attempt at excommunication...

FTO has a good point. From a troubleshooting perspective, you should attempt CarPlay on another same MY Ford, in addition to the other vehicles.
I realize this does not fit the preferred narrative that IT MUST BE THE IPHONE
but if you want accurate results from your troubleshooting, you need to dispense with assumptions and biases, start from zero and begin asking questions and answering with fact (by testing and logging results).

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
That depends on what you're trying to solve. I was simply trying to point out that the "it has to be the phone -- the truck plays no part in the matter" angle shouldn't be 100% gospel given the simple fact that the phone GPS functions perfectly fine absent of the truck.

Now, maybe there is a compatibility issue, sure. But there is no way the truck is simply projecting whatever my phone is doing into CarPlay because it doesn't have this issue when it's not connected.
99% of the problem will be with the iPhone. As someone else mentioned (might have been you) it can share GPS data, but from what I remember (I took the Developing CarPlay intro at WWDC) the car has better GPS as the antenna is bigger. OP said GPS was wrong, so my assumption it would be the phone. But just because it works in one car, doesn't mean it will work in another. The software is 100% generated from CarPlay (although as mentioned it can use car GPS). The GPS is used on the phone 100% of the time if connected via USB. If it is going over WiFi, there are triggers to use Car GPA (i.e. phone is in purse, coat or out of site). In the OP he did not say HOW HE WAS CONNECTED.

DinoJuice

Reaction score
99% of the problem will be with the iPhone. As someone else mentioned (might have been you) it can share GPS data, but from what I remember (I took the Developing CarPlay intro at WWDC) the car has better GPS as the antenna is bigger. OP said GPS was wrong, so my assumption it would be the phone. But just because it works in one car, doesn't mean it will work in another. The software is 100% generated from CarPlay (although as mentioned it can use car GPS). The GPS is used on the phone 100% of the time if connected via USB. If it is going over WiFi, there are triggers to use Car GPA (i.e. phone is in purse, coat or out of site). In the OP he did not say HOW HE WAS CONNECTED.
It definitely wasn't me -- I don't know anything about GPS. :) I am just a simple man who has a basic understanding of scientific method and feel fairly certain that some aspect of my vehicle is inhibiting my Apple Maps app from functioning properly when connected via CarPlay.

But what you said about which GPS is powering the navigation based on how the phone is connected or if there is some other interference in the connection is extremely helpful and makes a lot of sense! I typically keep my phone on the charging pad and rely on Wireless CarPlay. I'll pay more attention to where it is located when the issue arises, but I'm fairly certain it's always been right near the head unit somewhere free from obstruction.

Using this information, maybe the hypothesis is that Wireless CarPlay is not 100% perfect yet? Maybe the truck is not choosing the correct GPS all the time and that is causing the issues. In my other vehicles, I've always been connected via USB.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
It definitely wasn't me -- I don't know anything about GPS. :) I am just a simple man who has a basic understanding of scientific method and feel fairly certain that some aspect of my vehicle is inhibiting my Apple Maps app from functioning properly when connected via CarPlay.

But what you said about which GPS is powering the navigation based on how the phone is connected or if there is some other interference in the connection is extremely helpful and makes a lot of sense! I typically keep my phone on the charging pad and rely on Wireless CarPlay. I'll pay more attention to where it is located when the issue arises, but I'm fairly certain it's always been right near the head unit somewhere free from obstruction.

Using this information, maybe the hypothesis is that Wireless CarPlay is not 100% perfect yet? Maybe the truck is not choosing the correct GPS all the time and that is causing the issues. In my other vehicles, I've always been connected via USB.
CarPlay is NO WHERE NEAR PERECT. It seems quite often I am deleting the profile and then starting the process all over. My wife has more issues than I do and she has a Lincoln Nautilus she does not have wireless just USB. Every problem I have had with CarPlay comes when I either Download a new Beta and or using the phone when it is connecting. Also know that the wireless CarPlay the iPhone connects via BT and then runs on WiFi.

On a side note I think GM just announced no more CarPlay in 2024 EV's.

WhiteMamba

Reaction score
TLTR: All I have to say is that when using an iphone, stick to Apple specific apps. When on Android, stick to Android specific apps.

The phone is controlling the app and the location and everything. Apple uses a completely different software that is specific for Apple products only, which is why somebody who owns an iPhone probably owns Apple everything else related. Android can sometimes play Apple apps and iPhone can sometimes play Android apps but they will never work correctly because the phones algorithm and software processes things differently. There is a reason why that everytime there is an app to download on a computer, there are two versions to choose from, Apple or Android. When on your phone, the appropriate one should be the only one that pops up, but if you don't know, go the the Apple or Android/Google Play Store. Apple works hard to make sure their economy is different than Android. CarPlay is just a secondary screen that does nothing to change how the phone works unless you specify on the phone to do so when connected to CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze are an Android product, so with an iPhone, you should be using Apple Maps. Your iPhone is the thing that is messing up your directions. Android is like English in the U.S. and Apple is like English in Britain and Europe. They can kind of understand what each other is talking about but a lot of the words are different to where it's impossible to be close to accurate, there is no translating or dictionary. Once again, if you're using an iPhone, use only Apple apps and if you're using an Android, use only Android apps.

ZorroV

Reaction score
Im in the same boat for the past 3 months roughly. My Apple maps looses location and keeps re-routing me when connected wirelessly. It just started randomly one day as no iOS or SYNC updates were initiated. Post issue, multiple iOS releases have been installed and I want to say maybe 1 or 2 SYNC updates. I was hoping that would be the fix, but it was not unfortunately.

I know the issue is not with my phone because when I disconnect my phone from CarPlay, Apple maps works just fine in the Raptor. My wife's phone which is the same as mine and sons phone (iPhone11) have the same symptoms as mine when I connect it to the Sync wireless. I also travel frequently for work and rent multiple different models of cars monthly and never had an issue when I connect wireless as well.

Device & Software version
  • iPhone 13 pro Max
    • Software 17.2.1
  • Sync4
    • Software 6.4.0
Troubleshooting steps taken.
  • Used waze and google maps
  • Restarted iPhone
  • Disconnected and re-connected apple CarPlay from Sync along with deleting the connection from the iPhone
  • Press the volume nob power button and the forward seek/next button for 10 seconds to reboot Sync
  • Master reset of SYNC where I needed to re-activate just like the first time you received the car and setup your profile
  • Used wifes phone (iPhone 13 pro max) and sons phone (iPhone 11)
@Lxg44 had mentioned connecting to the data port to troubleshoot in this thread (Huge shoutout to you). I found out that the 2 ports (USB & USB-C) next to the wireless charger are actually data ports that connect to the Sync system. Previously I had been using the USB-C in the arm rest to charge my phone and still encountered the same issues as stated. I switched over to the USB-C port by the wireless charger and Apple maps started to work as intended.

I'm assuming SYNC is using the GPS off of the phone when connect via USB-C (next to the wireless charger) and not the GPS of the car. Again this is only an assumption.

Does anyone know if there is a way to clear the GPS calibration on SYNC by any chance? Maybe with forscan?

I have searched all over the internet, but cant seem to locate anything on it. Only reason why I mention this is that I had this same issue on my Jeep (iPhone 10 at that time), but with a Pioneer head unit with the factory Jeep GPS harness connected to it. After further research I was able to find the option of clearing the GPS calibration (Learning, Distance & Speed Pulse) off of the Pioneer head unit and everything started working as intended.

Hopefully we can find a fix to the wireless CarPlay soon! and Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

ZorroV

Reaction score
Im in the same boat for the past 3 months roughly. My Apple maps looses location and keeps re-routing me when connected wirelessly. It just started randomly one day as no iOS or SYNC updates were initiated. Post issue, multiple iOS releases have been installed and I want to say maybe 1 or 2 SYNC updates. I was hoping that would be the fix, but it was not unfortunately.

I know the issue is not with my phone because when I disconnect my phone from CarPlay, Apple maps works just fine in the Raptor. My wife's phone which is the same as mine and sons phone (iPhone11) have the same symptoms as mine when I connect it to the Sync wireless. I also travel frequently for work and rent multiple different models of cars monthly and never had an issue when I connect wireless as well.

Device & Software version
  • iPhone 13 pro Max
    • Software 17.2.1
  • Sync4
    • Software 6.4.0
Troubleshooting steps taken.
  • Used waze and google maps
  • Restarted iPhone
  • Disconnected and re-connected apple CarPlay from Sync along with deleting the connection from the iPhone
  • Press the volume nob power button and the forward seek/next button for 10 seconds to reboot Sync
  • Master reset of SYNC where I needed to re-activate just like the first time you received the car and setup your profile
  • Used wifes phone (iPhone 13 pro max) and sons phone (iPhone 11)
@Lxg44 had mentioned connecting to the data port to troubleshoot in this thread (Huge shoutout to you). I found out that the 2 ports (USB & USB-C) next to the wireless charger are actually data ports that connect to the Sync system. Previously I had been using the USB-C in the arm rest to charge my phone and still encountered the same issues as stated. I switched over to the USB-C port by the wireless charger and Apple maps started to work as intended.

I'm assuming SYNC is using the GPS off of the phone when connect via USB-C (next to the wireless charger) and not the GPS of the car. Again this is only an assumption.

Does anyone know if there is a way to clear the GPS calibration on SYNC by any chance? Maybe with forscan?

I have searched all over the internet, but cant seem to locate anything on it. Only reason why I mention this is that I had this same issue on my Jeep (iPhone 10 at that time), but with a Pioneer head unit with the factory Jeep GPS harness connected to it. After further research I was able to find the option of clearing the GPS calibration (Learning, Distance & Speed Pulse) off of the Pioneer head unit and everything started working as intended.

Hopefully we can find a fix to the wireless CarPlay soon! and Happy Holidays!
So after a couple of days of Apple maps working like normal, it started showing the location off again and re-routing me. I switched over to the USB-Type A port next to the wireless charger to see if there is going to be any difference.