CarPlay hit or miss.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with a wireless carplay solution and it is way more reliable than the wired connection. Go figure. Installed a QI charging phone holder as well.

What model? Any delay’s in operation or initial startup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRRPFB7/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Sometimes there is a slight startup delay but it really is no big deal to me. Works great and works over WIFI, not bluetooth which means sound quality would not be degraded when streaming etc.

So you got the model labeled
For Volvo? I see it says Sync compatible in the general description. That’s awesome that it’s a wifi connected model. Generally faster everything and true about the sound quality. May have to take the plunge.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you got the model labeled
For Volvo? I see it says Sync compatible in the general description. That’s awesome that it’s a wifi connected model. Generally faster everything and true about the sound quality. May have to take the plunge.
There is only one model...I guess different sellers on amazon just have different descriptions about the unit, etc. Thing works great.

Tooterfish

Reaction score
I have to buy a new USB cable every couple months. It's like the ports on my truck are damaging the leads in a way that they fail over time, with some cables faster than others. Curiously, however, the cables will still charge my phone. I have been using these since November with my Note 8 and have not experienced any issues https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PDPCWQ8/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

OP
OP
mattl600

mattl600

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is only one model...I guess different sellers on amazon just have different descriptions about the unit, etc. Thing works great.

is there any delay though when you hit the next or previous track on the steering whee controls?

Siri / phone / etc all work as normal?

BMY2020

Reaction score
Not really. Since it connects wifi it is pretty instant like plugged in.

Maybe a stupid question, but since you are saying wifi, how is it connecting through wifi? do you have to hotspot your phone for this to work? I just don't know where the wifi signal would come from.

I too have a 2020 with CarPlay issues, seems to connect about 50% of the time. Very annoying. I have also had all sorts of other random issues while in CarPlay. I am using an apple cord and I have waze on my phone, so after reading through this, I'll change the cord to a brand new one and delete waze.

I've never been sure how to reset the headhunt when any of this is happening, but I also read that you can reset by holding power and forward button? I'm not sure what this forward button is.

Another annoyance is that it seems to randomly decide what audio to launch at startup. Sometimes it goes to my phone via bluetooth, sometimes it goes to radio but doesn't know whether to go to FM or XM and is very random, and sometimes it just has audio completely off. For example, I've decided to try my iPod, hardline via usb (which is terrible for navigation of music) but assuming I'm in a playlist the day before I shut down, then next morning the truck picks up the iPod like it didn't skip a beat, then shut off and go into store, come back out and restart, truck goes to XM. Shut off and back on and truck then picks up the iPod again. (btw the sound quality of iPod vs iPhone (via usb cord) is substantially better. Volume level 15 sounds like 30 from one to other)

Aside from all this the interface looks like it's 5 years old. This headunit has been very disappointing for a 2020 802A 70k truck.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question, but since you are saying wifi, how is it connecting through wifi? do you have to hotspot your phone for this to work? I just don't know where the wifi signal would come from.

I too have a 2020 with CarPlay issues, seems to connect about 50% of the time. Very annoying. I have also had all sorts of other random issues while in CarPlay. I am using an apple cord and I have waze on my phone, so after reading through this, I'll change the cord to a brand new one and delete waze.

I've never been sure how to reset the headhunt when any of this is happening, but I also read that you can reset by holding power and forward button? I'm not sure what this forward button is.

Another annoyance is that it seems to randomly decide what audio to launch at startup. Sometimes it goes to my phone via bluetooth, sometimes it goes to radio but doesn't know whether to go to FM or XM and is very random, and sometimes it just has audio completely off. For example, I've decided to try my iPod, hardline via usb (which is terrible for navigation of music) but assuming I'm in a playlist the day before I shut down, then next morning the truck picks up the iPod like it didn't skip a beat, then shut off and go into store, come back out and restart, truck goes to XM. Shut off and back on and truck then picks up the iPod again. (btw the sound quality of iPod vs iPhone (via usb cord) is substantially better. Volume level 15 sounds like 30 from one to other)

Aside from all this the interface looks like it's 5 years old. This headunit has been very disappointing for a 2020 802A 70k truck.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
It can connect through Bluetooth but wifi is better and “faster”

The wifi comes from the device itself. Wifi is just a data transfer “protocol” you don’t need internet access to connect 2 devices via wifi.

Your phone won’t be connected to the trucks hotspot but everyone else still can as the trucks wifi is out of the loop for this scenario. Your truck is just picking up the same LTE signal your phone would anyway.

I’ve had this device for a couple weeks now. It is almost flawless. The only hiccups I notice are when my phone is on some other wifi signal and I don’t let it completely change over to CarPlay before driving away, it seems to hang up for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk