CarPlay hit or miss.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone track this down yet ?

I’m on the most current version of SYNC and iOS.

sometimes CarPlay sill work as expected via usb and sometimes I can’t get it to start for the life of me.

can seem to find a reason for it.
Mine works 90% of the time. I usually let the truck boot up and radio on playing random radio station then I connect my phone via usb and CarPlay kicks right in. When it doesn’t want to I just unplug the phone re plug and good to go.

RaptorRnr

Reaction score
I had several problems early on with my 2020. Additionally, the camera worked 10% of the time. I had the camera replaced, then the recall replaced the front camera and I haven't had issues with CarPlay or the cameras since. Make sure you're on the latest Sync firmware. It's been shared on other threads.

ddubdb3

Reaction score
Mine works I’d say about 90% of the time and I’m using an Apple cable. I still haven’t found the secret in getting the radio to recognize CarPlay when it doesn’t work that 10% of the time. One time when it didn’t work I tried using my girls iPhone and the radio also didn’t switch over to CarPlay with her phone either. This was on the same “drive cycle”. So definitely makes me think this just may be a random radio issue..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Mine has the same issue and I use only Apple cables.... has something to do with WHEN you plug it in. At least that’s what I’ve been able to narrow it down to

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I find Waze as the biggest culprit. I can normally plug the phone in and CarPlay comes up. Once Waze comes up it knocks out your input source on the music side in most cases. Not always and I have had success with plugging in the phone immediately or after driving away. Hit or miss for sure.

Every now and then if CarPlay doesn’t come up at all, I need to reboot sync (power + forward button). And sometimes kill an app or reboot the phone.

In a worst case scenario and even after letting the truck go to sleep after parking it. CarPlay will not come up, I will remove the truck from CarPlay on the phone or remove the phone from sync and let them re pair.

I am only guessing since you have 3 entities involved (Ford, Apple and app developers), there just may never be a flawless implementation.

Again the system works great most of the time and Waze screws with things the most I believe.

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys do off of your phone other than Waze or music? I have my music on a flash drive, I'm wondering if I'm missing something good?

Podcasts too.

I use an Apple cable and have the latest Sync update.
I still have connectivity issues when starting the truck.
Though it has never booted me out when operating.
No Waze for me, Google Maps.
I will try the suggestion to plug in after the head unit is fully started up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattl600

mattl600

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apple cable for me as well.

I deleted waze off my phone since I never use it and have been waiting for the truck to fully “boot” sync and so far it’s been perfect.

probably jinxed myself.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed Waze jacked mine up as well. I also rarely use it anymore (native map is flawless and easily syncs with my calendar appointments). Once I deleted waze it hasn't given me grief. Also +1 on the Apple cable.