GEN 2 Car Wash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go to a touch less car wash. It fits. Most around here have a 7’ clearance, which might be a problem as the trucks keep getting bigger.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Washing and detailing is a side hobby of mine. Living in NY, however, it's a no go in the winter, though I have done it and had the benefit of being able to ice skate in my driveway thereafter.

My first Raptor, a 2017, I took into a carwash in the winter, the regular kind with the long strips of fabric that beat the dirt off with everyone else's dirt on them. I wound up with a huge gouge right in the center of the front of the hood, as big as a pinkie nail, right down to the metal. Don't know how the hell that happened. Got touchup paint, it wound up looking like shit, and I moved on.

I did recently take my 3rd Raptor, a 2020, into a car wash as it was absolutely filthy and the weather is just too cold to wash in my driveway. It came out decent and I didn't really see any scratches.

I think it's kind of a release, an emotional release of sorts, when you start to see scratches on a vehicle, be it a truck or not, and it no longer bothers you as much.

My son just leased a 2021 Mercedes GLE 450. Black. He came over the first day he got it to show it to me. I could not believe the extent of the swirl marks. Literally all over the paint. He had no clue.

I recently bought a 2021 Cayenne GTS. I know a lot of OCD people tell the dealer don't touch it, don't clean it. I didn't bother. It's a dark blue. And yes, it too wound up with swirls on the paint.

In the scheme of things, especially these days, with a damn virus trying to kill you, with good friends I haven't seen for almost a year because of it, with family members I haven't seen, I'm going to worry about a scratch on my vehicles?

Nope.

Oh, yes, it fits in every car wash I've gone in. In one they turned off the overhead brushes before allowing it through.

George Dyck

Reaction score
I’ve been to a few car washes around my area (a Vancouver Canada suburb) and the Raptor won’t fit so I stopped trying. Better to wash in the driveway. Don’t get too much freezing weather here.

fftfk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine through a brand new membership wash and the rubber hot air fans hit on both sides. I now go to a true touchless wash my detailer recommended. It works great.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why people would subject themselves through the torture of washing their vehicles. I would rather have my time than save on the risk of scratches from the car wash. I take mine through the car wash once or twice a week and the paint is just as nice as the day I bought it. I prefer to spend a few hours once a year buffing and polishing than subjecting myself to that weekly by hand. Time is money.
Maybe because they enjoy it and it's cathartic. Comparable to the same reason the best parents raise their kids instead of having a nanny do it!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the past, I've hosed my trucks off once in the spring to get rid of the salt and otherwise only if I've gotten into mud. Yeah, first year of ownership, I'll wash it a couple of extra times. My year is up in May. :) A carwash would be gentle compared to juniper, mountain mahogany, sagebrush, and scrub oak, so I'd have no qualms about using one. But you know what? They'll serve me coffee at the drive through even if my truck is dirty. ;)

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe because they enjoy it and it's cathartic. Comparable to the same reason the best parents raise their kids instead of having a nanny do it!

You had me nodding in agreement until the thing about raising rug rats. :lol:

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score

Obviously you didn’t see my play on words from the previous poster...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro