GEN 2 Installed a Diamondback Switchback Tonneau today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mj1anderson

Reaction score
Was a super easy install
Ran thru car wash and had zero leaks
Very sturdy Tonneau with a seriously badass look to it
Can carry 400 lbs on top which will be great when hauling my 150 Quart grizzly cooler for hunting
Had several positive comments on it today as I drove in the Hills fighting all the Sturgis bike traffic.
As of day 1 I recommend it! 20230809_104159.jpg20230809_104019.jpg20230809_104211.jpg

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have their HD cover. Heard a lot about this one. Looks great. Can you show some pics of how it opens?

OP
OP
Mj1anderson

Mj1anderson

Reaction score
I have their HD cover. Heard a lot about this one. Looks great. Can you show some pics of how it opens?
Yes, I'll shoot a few photos in a bit...
It's trifold with the panel nearest the cab being fixed (by 4 hearty clamps).
Middle panel "floats" but that doesn't seem to be an issue.
Back panel nearest tailgate is secured by two adjustable latches that are designed quite well.
My only "concern" is back panel sits fairly tight on tailgate right now and gate won't drop upon release

But I'm sure that will improve as panel's and gaskets etc get settled and broken in
I put a little silicone lube on it for now which they recommend and which helps a little.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t have any issue with tailgate opening. Only problem I’ve experienced, and don’t know I’d caused by cover, is plastic covering on both sides of bed have raised up and off bed which makes the cover appear to be not level and almost popped up by the cab end.

I also got extra rubber weather strip for the portion along the cab to ensure a water tight seal. I’ve had 3 or 4 different covers and this is the only true waterproof one I’ve had.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks good, btw, if a bit naked, without the cleats. How do you plan to tie down your cooler? I have the cleats but didn’t want as many as it comes with. Unfort it’s all or none or they supply them and they can be self installed.

OP
OP
Mj1anderson

Mj1anderson

Reaction score

Looks good, btw, if a bit naked, without the cleats. How do you plan to tie down your cooler? I have the cleats but didn’t want as many as it comes with. Unfort it’s all or none or they supply them and they can be self installed.
Sorry finally sat down today to send a few photos...
20230810_103051.jpg20230810_103001.jpg20230810_103019.jpg
I don’t have any issue with tailgate opening. Only problem I’ve experienced, and don’t know I’d caused by cover, is plastic covering on both sides of bed have raised up and off bed which makes the cover appear to be not level and almost popped up by the cab end.

I also got extra rubber weather strip for the portion along the cab to ensure a water tight seal. I’ve had 3 or 4 different covers and this is the only true waterproof one I’ve had.
Switchback came with an extra weather strip for the bulkhead
As I mentioned I took it through a car wash and had zero leaks...
So I'm very happy about that

OP
OP
Mj1anderson

Mj1anderson

Reaction score

Posted a few pics for you
4 hearty clamps on panel nearest bulkhead
Middle panel floats with no clamps only hinges
Back panel latched, which I sent pics of secured and stowed positions.
As for cleats, currently diamondback doesn't have any cleats that are approved for this tonneau
They are working on it
However I can secure it via their current strap system which is a part of their hinge system
I can thread ratchet straps thru slots above the hinges and secure the cooler that way
At least I assume I can
Haven't tried it yet!!!

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ty for the pics. Here’s pic of what I was mentioning on my plastic popped up by cab. One pic it’s up, next I’m pressing it down with my finger. Wonder if I can glue it.
IMG_5106.jpegIMG_5107.jpegIMG_5105.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter