Camper shell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jlyoung08

Reaction score
I got a shell for my 17 and was curious how to wire the 3rd brake light. I’ve read about a purple and white wire in the driver side kick panel but can’t seem to get it to work. Also some guys tapping into the tail light but not sure which wire it is and then the 7 pin plug but then the truck seems to think there is a trailer. Any help would be appreciated l!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a shell for my 17 and was curious how to wire the 3rd brake light. I’ve read about a purple and white wire in the driver side kick panel but can’t seem to get it to work. Also some guys tapping into the tail light but not sure which wire it is and then the 7 pin plug but then the truck seems to think there is a trailer. Any help would be appreciated l!
Screenshot_2022-07-14-10-41-42-72_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Leer topper purchased at Cap World was installed with an adaptor. The trucks harness going to the 7 pin plug is unplugged. The adaptor is installed inline between the harness and the bumper mounted 7 pin. Run power from the battery to the adaptor. And then wire to the 3rd brake light and power to other lights inside the topper.
Local Cap World has someone local make the adaptors. Don't remember how much I paid, $30?