Cam phaser noise ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Islander98

Reaction score
You need to make sure it has the updated calibration as well, or they will wear out again. It was recall 21B10. The old parts have not been available for years, they can only order the current part numbers.
Thank you. Still waiting for a timing chain. It's been more than 2 weeks waiting for parts.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost 2 weeks later Ford Customer Care finally said I qualify for financial assistance.... but they will let me know what % next week lol.

Should I argue with them and try to get full coverage or what are your guys thoughts?

early 2018 phasers replaced @ 54K now at 94K needed again....

atayl5513

Reaction score
Update on my 2018. Took it into today and it indeed was the cam phasers and they are replacing them under my extended warranty. They are using the new part number. Hopefully this won’t happen again. Only have 36,000 left on the warranty.

hunter031789

Reaction score
Update on my 2018. Took it into today and it indeed was the cam phasers and they are replacing them under my extended warranty. They are using the new part number. Hopefully this won’t happen again. Only have 36,000 left on the warranty.
Do you know what the "new part number" is? I bought a 2018 about a month ago. It is a single owner truck, well taken care of and always only serviced at Ford, so I requested all of the service tickets. The phasers have been replaced 3 separate times using the HL3Z...CD part numbers each time. It also had the PCM updated before the most recent phaser replacement. Currently not making any phaser noise so I'm hopeful the root cause has been addressed but it does seem to lend credence to the idea that some have posted on here of the PCM update being the real fix and not the parts alone.

atayl5513

Reaction score
Do you know what the "new part number" is? I bought a 2018 about a month ago. It is a single owner truck, well taken care of and always only serviced at Ford, so I requested all of the service tickets. The phasers have been replaced 3 separate times using the HL3Z...CD part numbers each time. It also had the PCM updated before the most recent phaser replacement. Currently not making any phaser noise so I'm hopeful the root cause has been addressed but it does seem to lend credence to the idea that some have posted on here of the PCM update being the real fix and not the parts alone.
It was the ML3Z.