Cam Phaser Horror Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did confirm that the programming was not done during an unrelated repair in April of 2022 when the recall was active.

I know for sure they never asked me if I wanted it done or not.

Does the customer have to request that all current recalls be done during a service visit or is it Ford policy to automatically do them unless the customer specifically says not to?

I did confirm that I got the new phaser part number ending in cd in the April 2020 repair but that was before any official recall.

the dealer i brought my truck for the low idle knock part of that bulletin was also reluctant to do the update to the ECU. at first they didnt hear anything.. once it was fully warmed up it was hard to ignore. i guess i dont understand why a dealership would shy away from doing a simple update if the customer is complaining about the symptoms, and also references the bulletin..

I'd prefer to never take my truck to anyone else for work..

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
the dealer i brought my truck for the low idle knock part of that bulletin was also reluctant to do the update to the ECU. at first they didnt hear anything.. once it was fully warmed up it was hard to ignore. i guess i dont understand why a dealership would shy away from doing a simple update if the customer is complaining about the symptoms, and also references the bulletin..

I'd prefer to never take my truck to anyone else for work..
That’s what I don’t get. Are they so lazy to hook a laptop up and take 10min to fix a major recall?

It’s not like I was in the lobby tapping my foot asking when it was going to be ready.

They had my truck for over a week and couldn’t spend 10min to flash the ecu?!

I am trying really hard to remain patient and calm but for the main guy working the counter to say “the programming does nothing” ?!?!!

I’m a nobody that barely knows how to use an Internet forum and I know better than that.

Heck Ford itself knows better than that according to their own tsb!

How are you the main guy at the official ford service center and you start the conversation by saying the programming does nothing?!?!

Also, if you truly did mess up I completely understand that. I always tell the guys that work for me, admit your mistakes and move on.

I screw stuff up at work all the time. I immediately call out my screw up and devise a strategy to fix it like a normal adult.

All this guy had to do was say, wow, we missed this one, this is our fault, we will fix this.

I would have left happy and worry free

Last edited:

Nolo0125

Reaction score
OK this is just strange. When I bought my 2019 Raptor, the dealer sent me the CARFAX and it showed at 31K miles the cam phaser was done and then at 40k the Unintended tail gate actuator issue was solved.
I just pulled the Carfax back up and the cam phaser issue isn’t even on the report anymore.
Is that because I am the second owner?
It has just over 50K on it and now I am not sure if it was done or is someone messing with me?
Would it still be covered under the 5/60k plan or are all cam phaser issues built into the truck regardless of ownership€
Maybe I will contact the dealer in FL that serviced it and give them my VIN to see if in fact it was done or should I contact Ford directly as I don’t want this thing rearing it’s ugly head down the road.
Thoughts?

Nolo0125

Reaction score
OK this is just strange. When I bought my 2019 Raptor, the dealer sent me the CARFAX and it showed at 31K miles the cam phaser was done and then at 40k the Unintended tail gate actuator issue was solved.
I just pulled the Carfax back up and the cam phaser issue isn’t even on the report anymore.
It has just over 50K on it and now I am not sure if it was done or is someone messing with me?
Would it still be covered under the 5/60k plan or are all cam phaser issues built into the truck regardless of ownership€
Maybe I will contact the dealer in FL that serviced it and give them my VIN to see if in fact it was done or should I contact Ford directly as I don’t want this thing rearing it’s ugly head down the road.
Thoughts?
Oh and I just installed a Cobb CAI and a stage one Tune/TCM.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
Thoughts?
First of all I am not an expert but have been down this road.

I would request an oasis report from a ford dealership showing everything that has been done to the truck.

Next I would ensure the phaser part number that was used ended in cd.

Then I would ensure that the recall 21B10 reprograming has been done.

While you’re at it I would pick up a Ford flood esp while you still can.

It would still be covered in the 5/60k but it gets real dicy after 60k which is what I am dealing with.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s what I don’t get. Are they so lazy to hook a laptop up and take 10min to fix a major recall?

It’s not like I was in the lobby tapping my foot asking when it was going to be ready.

They had my truck for over a week and couldn’t spend 10min to flash the ecu?!

I am trying really hard to remain patient and calm but for the main guy working the counter to say “the programming does nothing” ?!?!!

I’m a nobody that barely knows how to use an Internet forum and I know better than that.

Heck Ford itself knows better than that according to their own tsb!

How are you the main guy at the official ford service center and you start the conversation by saying the programming does nothing?!?!

Also, if you truly did mess up I completely understand that. I always tell the guys that work for me, admit your mistakes and move on.

I screw stuff up at work all the time. I immediately call out my screw up and devise a strategy to fix it like a normal adult.

All this guy had to do was say, wow, we missed this one, this is our fault, we will fix this.

I would have left happy and worry free

im sure they get a bunch of forum experts in there drinking all their coffee and wasting their time, but when the issue is legit, i dont understand... i brought my truck in today for replacement of phasers, and its been there 3 times now, for the tailgate, phasers, another tsb on the transmission shift and a key blade cut.. sat for 2 weeks with nothing done until all the parts are in and then they call me and say the cab needs to come off and you have these coilovers and its gonna be $1000 for your aftermarket accessories... so i took it home again, and moved a few things around for them and now they have it again with no grill, no bumper and no wiring in the way, so hopefully something will get done this time around..

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did confirm that the programming was not done during an unrelated repair in April of 2022 when the recall was active.

I know for sure they never asked me if I wanted it done or not.

Does the customer have to request that all current recalls be done during a service visit or is it Ford policy to automatically do them unless the customer specifically says not to?

I did confirm that I got the new phaser part number ending in cd in the April 2020 repair but that was before any official recall.
No, not at all. It’s part of the Service “Advisor” job to run a preliminary vehicle report (OASIS) which shows all recalls highlighted in yellow. They then should go through them with the customer one by one to determine which ones may apply to the customer’s vehicle and concern.

In the case of 21B10, it was corrective FSA with extended warranty coverage, so by default the dealer should have completed it.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
No, not at all. It’s part of the Service “Advisor” job to run a preliminary vehicle report (OASIS) which shows all recalls highlighted in yellow. They then should go through them with the customer one by one to determine which ones may apply to the customer’s vehicle and concern.

In the case of 21B10, it was corrective FSA with extended warranty coverage, so by default the dealer should have completed it.
This makes me feel much better.

Thank you so much for your extensive knowledge of this truck and your willingness to respond to strangers online.

I would literally be lost without your guidance and I feel like I owe you many beers.

If you are ever in the East Tennessee area hit me up!

One last question, corrective FSA. What does FSA stand for in that instance? Ford service adviser?

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
im sure they get a bunch of forum experts in there drinking all their coffee and wasting their time, but when the issue is legit, i dont understand... i brought my truck in today for replacement of phasers, and its been there 3 times now, for the tailgate, phasers, another tsb on the transmission shift and a key blade cut.. sat for 2 weeks with nothing done until all the parts are in and then they call me and say the cab needs to come off and you have these coilovers and its gonna be $1000 for your aftermarket accessories... so i took it home again, and moved a few things around for them and now they have it again with no grill, no bumper and no wiring in the way, so hopefully something will get done this time around..
Just curious, what is the tsb on the transmission shift?

Nolo0125

Reaction score
First of all I am not an expert but have been down this road.

I would request an oasis report from a ford dealership showing everything that has been done to the truck.

Next I would ensure the phaser part number that was used ended in cd.

Then I would ensure that the recall 21B10 reprograming has been done.

While you’re at it I would pick up a Ford flood esp while you still can.

It would still be covered in the 5/60k but it gets real dicy after 60k which is what I am dealing with.
Thank you and I will do this.