Cam Phaser Horror Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
FT1 said, The new hardware and software went into production 11/19; issues from then to current production 2023 models are extremely uncommon. The production and service parts are the same.
So the dealer did not do the complete job when they changed the phasers. Look back a few posts, you have them by the short hairs. They should have done the programming at phaser replacement
FT1 hasn’t confirmed that on the software.

I know he said that and it may be true but 21B10 supplement 1 didn’t release until March 2nd of 2021 according to the documentation.

I remember when I had it done there was no talk of a software update at that point.

I could possibly argue that I had significant wear by them waiting a full year to release software for the updated part but $1100 is out of lawyer territory.

I was surprised that Ford corporate quickly agreed to paying 60% and at a discounted labor rate.

I mentioned an attorney to the dealership and I wonder if that had an affect?

Literally a 5min phone call went from $5300 to $1100

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FT1 hasn’t confirmed that on the software.

I know he said that and it may be true but 21B10 supplement 1 didn’t release until March 2nd of 2021 according to the documentation.
Correct. 21B10 was released in March of 2021.
I remember when I had it done there was no talk of a software update at that point.

I could possibly argue that I had significant wear by them waiting a full year to release software for the updated part but $1100 is out of lawyer territory.

I was surprised that Ford corporate quickly agreed to paying 60% and at a discounted labor rate.

I mentioned an attorney to the dealership and I wonder if that had an affect?

Literally a 5min phone call went from $5300 to $1100
Since it’s a known concern it makes sense for corporate to offer financial assistance, and I’m glad to hear they did. Dealers hate when corporate does that, because it lowers their effective labor rate, holds them to the warranty labor time, and limits parts markup. So you can get a little satisfaction out of knowing that the dealer now has to do the job for half the price they quoted you. And not by their choice.

I think you made the right call, legal representation gets expensive very fast, and once you go that route there’s no good will.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
Correct. 21B10 was released in March of 2021.

Since it’s a known concern it makes sense for corporate to offer financial assistance, and I’m glad to hear they did. Dealers hate when corporate does that, because it lowers their effective labor rate, holds them to the warranty labor time, and limits parts markup. So you can get a little satisfaction out of knowing that the dealer now has to do the job for half the price they quoted you. And not by their choice.

I think you made the right call, legal representation gets expensive very fast, and once you go that route there’s no good will.
That is honestly part of my worry at this point, that the dealership might half ass do the job because they are sore about the deal?

Anyway, I am sorry this has turned into a 7 page thread over a topic that has been beaten to death.

I hope it may help someone in the future and I’m glad Ford stepped up and at least made it partially right.

Fingers crossed I get many more years of service out of the raptor

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is honestly part of my worry at this point, that the dealership might half ass do the job because they are sore about the deal?
The Service Manager may be sore, but for the tech it’s no different in terms of what needs to be done. And doing a rush job will result in nothing more than a comeback, at which point the tech is doing the job again, but this time for free. Not a desirable outcome for any party involved.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
The Service Manager may be sore, but for the tech it’s no different in terms of what needs to be done. And doing a rush job will result in nothing more than a comeback, at which point the tech is doing the job again, but this time for free. Not a desirable outcome for any party involved.
Wow that makes me feel better.

Again, thank you so much for all of your helpful guidance throughout all of this.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne name the place and I’ll send it!

No chance in hell I would have got a $4k discount if it wasnt for FT1 and these forums.
Glad to help, not necessary. Much appreciated though! The forum is great, the vast majority of people are here to share experiences and knowledge and have fun at the same time.