Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAJRIP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 2017 has 39k miles on it and has had the phasers replaced at 19k, 30k and they started making noise again at 34k.

Here is a couple of videos for you guys.

The first is when they failed at 30k.
The second is in the dealers lot after 19k phaser replacement, nice and quiet.
The third is from a couple of days ago. Failed again, also note the slightly longer crank time before it starts.

I am currently waiting on a response from Ford weather it qualifies for a buyback.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What was the date of the last phaser replacement you had?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SleekMagnetic

Reaction score
My truck has been running harsh lately and just yesterday finally through a CEL: P0012, P0022 and P0056. Intake cam valve timing retarded. I’m bringing it in to my dealer today.

Thoughts on flashing the tune back to stock or bringing it in as is? Cobb Stage 1. The dealer is mod friendly, so I’m not really worried with warranty denial as there is plenty of cases with similar issues - tuned or not.

Thanks,

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My truck has been running harsh lately and just yesterday finally through a CEL: P0012, P0022 and P0056. Intake cam valve timing retarded. I’m bringing it in to my dealer today.

Thoughts on flashing the tune back to stock or bringing it in as is? Cobb Stage 1. The dealer is mod friendly, so I’m not really worried with warranty denial as there is plenty of cases with similar issues - tuned or not.

Thanks,
before you leave it there, a quick conversation about... hypothetical... mods and issues would be best. This is a major repair, and a relatively big payout from Ford to fix, so they do look for excuses not to pay. use the service manager’s response as your guide.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What was the date of the last phaser replacement you had?

The new parts were released in April right? That doesn’t mean they have percolated their way through the parts inventory system, Ford likes to use --all-- inventory parts, like all the plastic oil pans from early ’18 and early Jennies. It’s possible he got old parts still.

Still, 3 times is more than enough. he shouldn’t have to screw with another repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.