Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every gen 2 raptor up until the new phasers were put into production will have a phaser problem, just a matter of time IMO. They are defective, I have the same issue.

I have a 2019 that was built four days after the issue was reportedly resolved for new vehicles (4/08/2019) and the dealership said my VCT needs to be replaced. I am not a mechanic, but I think this is related to the phaser issue. If so, then new vehicles may still have some issues?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2019 that was built four days after the issue was reportedly resolved for new vehicles (4/08/2019) and the dealership said my VCT needs to be replaced. I am not a mechanic, but I think this is related to the phaser issue. If so, then new vehicles may still have some issues?
Hard to say. Yours is obviously more than just the phasers according to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless I missed something, yours sounds like wastegate rattle. Watch your wastegate actuatorts when the noise goes away.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little noises? 24hrs later - this is what it sounds like now. It’s getting worse because it lasts longer now.
I can't say what this is, but it doesn't sound normal, and if I had to guess, I'd go with phasers. Sounds too perfectly periodic to be the wastegates.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless I missed something, yours sounds like wastegate rattle. Watch your wastegate actuatorts when the noise goes away.
You could be right; I honestly don't know. The dealer ordered whatever parts are needed to fix what they say is a VCT issue, so I will get that work done when the parts arrive in January or February (they are on back order).

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could be right; I honestly don't know. The dealer ordered whatever parts are needed to fix what they say is a VCT issue, so I will get that work done when the parts arrive in January or February (they are on back order).
similar Situation here although I find it quite unnerving that there are so many VCT/phasers/timing chain issues out there that all those parts are on back order. To keep driving the vehicle for multiple months with this type of issue almost seems like engine suicide.
By the time our VCT repairs get done, we’ll need a whole new block.

Osteoblast

Reaction score
Happened to me at 42k miles-2018 Raptor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think that this is just more input that shows ford is still not sure how to fix this issue. The issue has been around since the inception of 3.5 ecoboost engines. Seems like each version of the 3.5 EB since then has inherited the same phaser problem. It was suggested here that ford is just riding this out of warranty coverage so its not their problem anymore. That is a very disappointing stance and makes me less likely to buy another ford.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think that this is just more input that shows ford is still not sure how to fix this issue. The issue has been around since the inception of 3.5 ecoboost engines. Seems like each version of the 3.5 EB since then has inherited the same phaser problem. It was suggested here that ford is just riding this out of warranty coverage so its not their problem anymore. That is a very disappointing stance and makes me less likely to buy another ford.

They have gotten a little better.

The Gen 1 3.5L EB has issues with the VCT/cam phasers as well, but it also has larger issues with the timing chain/tensioners. It seems like the chain/tensioner issue is no longer a problem with the Gen 2 3.5l EB, I believe they went to a chain for each bank instead of one long chain, someone will have to confirm that. Even with the shorter chains, hopefully Ford improved the chain tensioners as well. The Gen 1 3.5L EB timing chain failures typically manifested from a bad chain tensioner oil seal/gasket. When that failed, the lack of oikl pressure in the tensioner caused it to stop "tensioning" and the chain operated in a loose condition and made noise. The loose chain would eventually damage the plastic chain guides. Once the plastic on the guides guide is worn away or broken, then the chain would run on the metal potion of the guide, metal shavings etc, and it's toast at that point. A loose chain could also cause it to skip a cam gear tooth or outright break, and that's when your pistons meet your valves up close and personal.

I do not feel like Ford ever solved anything with the Gen 1 3.5L EB. People simply throw new parts at it since that's all you can do. AFAIK Ford never came up with a revised part that was not problematic as far as the Gen 1 3.5L EB cam phasers and chain tensioners go.

I'm not sure what causes the VCT/phaser issues in the Gen 1 or Gen 2 3.5L EB engines. I do know both the 6.2L and 5.0L also have VCT with cam phasers, and there are no common issues or failures with phasers in those engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.