Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got the call from the dealership, cam phasers need to be replaced on my 2018, only 13k miles... sigh...

Is there a club for us yet? Do they have cool jackets?
Every gen 2 raptor up until the new phasers were put into production will have a phaser problem, just a matter of time IMO. They are defective, I have the same issue.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Vid of mine @ cold start after being parked 48 hours:

Vid of mine @ warm idle:

I'm guessing cam phasers for the first, unsure what is causing the second.
That is a bad cam phaser. I also had the warm idle tick/knock. Mine started like yours but got a whole lot louder before a dealer replaced my phasers. You could hear it from 10 feet away. FYI most people don't seem to have that hot idle noise.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Every gen 2 raptor up until the new phasers were put into production will have a phaser problem, just a matter of time IMO. They are defective, I have the same issue.

FIFY

Every one of these will eventually fail because it’s a ‘wear’ part, so to speak, in the same manner as the timing chain, tensioners, and solenoids will fail. Even the new ones are going to fail eventually. I don’t think it’s so much an issue of new vs. old, rather it may well be different contract/suppliers. Who knows where they’ve been sourced from over the years.

I think if every one of them was defective, we would all know about it. The media would be all over that like stink on poop.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FIFY

Every one of these will eventually fail because it’s a ‘wear’ part, so to speak, in the same manner as the timing chain, tensioners, and solenoids will fail. Even the new ones are going to fail eventually. I don’t think it’s so much an issue of new vs. old, rather it may well be different contract/suppliers. Who knows where they’ve been sourced from over the years.

I think if every one of them was defective, we would all know about it. The media would be all over that like stink on poop.
Well, you're splitting hairs here. Every engine has wear items - in this particular case the cam phasers are defective. They fail to park properly and the set pins don't engage as they should all the time. This isn't due to wear, it's due to a defect.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I am splitting hares ... oops... hairs here. Not all phasers are defective, rather, a higher than acceptable number to the customers who’ve had the failure. Some of whom have had the failure due to defective parts more than once. That’s shameful, for sure. But they’re not all defective. They’re all going to wear out, for sure and the ones that are prematurely failing are defective.

But they are not all failing early, and they are not all defective.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if other vehicles that use the same 3.5L EB have issues with cam phasers. Specifically if the GT has this issue. I haven't read anything, then again I doubt most have enough miles for it to show up yet.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FIFY

Stop making me have to look up shit! I thought you misspelled covfefe!

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no sounds in the recording to be concerned about.
That last one was a bad recording because the sounds are there but because the beginning of them is cut off it seems like it’s normal. Anyway - has it at the dealer today and they immediately got very worried - started talking about buyback programs. When I showed them the vids their first reaction was “f***** ecoboosts”. Technician said definitely seems to be something related to cam phasers and timing chains. My build date is end of July 2019. I guess those new cam phasers part numbers did not do the trick. What a nightmare this is...

Status
Not open for further replies.