Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WC114

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen at least three cases of repeated failure. Back in July a friend was told new parts were coming to fix it end of that month, but I've heard nothing since (edit, looks like OPT confirmed there are new parts). Further, Ford has been fighting this issue for years and this gen ecoboost was supposed to directly address it. I've heard it was only a certain batch in 2018, but it appears based on this thread that's not the case.

I'm counting close to 35 now, assuming I haven't double counted someone here that was also on facebook. Out of 35,000 trucks, that isn't bad, but it is still worrying for the rest of us.
So I assume this is before the new part number came out?

OP
OP
Quaesta

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be curious to know how many people with the cam phaser issue have a tune on their Raptor. It absolutely makes sense that failures can be related to continuous stop/ start of an engine.
I started a thread to answer just that question. https://www.fordraptorforum.com/posts/1313197/
So far it only seems like one person out of the small number of people that have posted to the thread.

ReedLee

Reaction score
Guys we have the same problem with cam phaser on Raptor here in China.

It begins with start up rattle,had very annoying but rhythm noise when engine was idling.

Dealer didn't had any clue when 1st case was happened because Raptor was just introduced to China market and they didn't have any experiences with Gen 2 ecoboost engine.Took them long enough to told us"this is just a normal situation" until the 1st case's truck starts to showing engine misfiring,then they took the engine apart and found cracks on one of the timing wheel.They fixed it under warranty.

My truck haven't showing this problem yet but we already had at least 5 owners reported this issue in our owner's club.all trucks had no mods on engine.4 trucks build data were 10/17,one was 11/17 and it just happened yesterday,so still waiting for result.

This is the pic of damaged timing wheel,I also had vids but don't know how to upload it here.
e8a1bc8990455a870bd62cf586537567.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Supergumby5000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any info floating around out there regarding how many of these cam phaser issues actually led to engine issues and/or true motor failure? Im talking actual stuttering or complete motor failure, not "my motor made noises so Im having it worked on under warranty".

I'm not doubting there is a cam phaser issue, but it would be interesting how many motors out there have the rattle and have run long and hard without true damage. Obviously, metal on metal noise aint good, but loud motors arent unheard of either.

I have a start up rattle for about 10-20 seconds on my brand spankin new raptor at cold start. Calling it a 'rattle' would be a reach in my opinion though. It's not that loud. It doesnt sound like cam phasers to me. I'll mention it at my first oil change like everyone has suggested but I'm not going to worry about it until a) i approach the end of my warranty or b) I actually notice detrimental effects.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there any info floating around out there regarding how many of these cam phaser issues actually led to engine issues and/or true motor failure? Im talking actual stuttering or complete motor failure, not "my motor made noises so Im having it worked on under warranty".

I'm not doubting there is a cam phaser issue, but it would be interesting how many motors out there have the rattle and have run long and hard without true damage. Obviously, metal on metal noise aint good, but loud motors arent unheard of either.

I have a start up rattle for about 10-20 seconds on my brand spankin new raptor at cold start. Calling it a 'rattle' would be a reach in my opinion though. It's not that loud. It doesnt sound like cam phasers to me. I'll mention it at my first oil change like everyone has suggested but I'm not going to worry about it until a) i approach the end of my warranty or b) I actually notice detrimental effects.

Probably your transmission. Mine does too, as do most others.

Regarding cam phaser, I've heard techs think it is kind of a fifty fifty split. But all the ones I've seen were bad enough to eventually cause serious engine problems.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had serious engine problems. No timing codes however significant misfire events, flashing CEL and limp mode if I tried to get on it.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Limp mode with a 31’ trailer merging into traffic is not fun, dangerous.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The way it works is this. If you have the cam phasers rattling, that means they are not getting oil. It will only last a short time before the rattling / lack of oil destroys them. When that happens, the timing chain stretches / breaks. When that happens, the engine will hat already been hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.