Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Quaesta

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forzda 1 what do you do for a living?

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do we know it’s affecting a few trucks?
Maybe the other owners don’t care about the noise or think it’s normal and never bring it in.

Has anyone gone through the repairs had the problems come back?

I've seen at least three cases of repeated failure. Back in July a friend was told new parts were coming to fix it end of that month, but I've heard nothing since (edit, looks like OPT confirmed there are new parts). Further, Ford has been fighting this issue for years and this gen ecoboost was supposed to directly address it. I've heard it was only a certain batch in 2018, but it appears based on this thread that's not the case.

I'm counting close to 35 now, assuming I haven't double counted someone here that was also on facebook. Out of 35,000 trucks, that isn't bad, but it is still worrying for the rest of us.

I’m not sure it’s a problem again. There is a ratcheting tensioner that works before the system presses up, perhaps a very faint rattle is normal before that point. We’ll see. I do think this is a problem that will affect every Raptor... at some point. It would be interesting to see the data, if it existed, between number of AUTO START/STOP events and mileage at failure. I have a lot of starting and stopping with the nature of where I live. The other gent with 50k+ on a 1.5 yo truck may have a longer commute that A: keeps RPMs lower B: minimizes starting and stopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The transmission is noisy upon startup sometimes, sounds very close to the cam phaser rattle but comes from the transmission (you can clearly hear it). Many, many trucks do this, and everyone seems to think it is normal. Mine has rattled almost since new and shifts smoothly in all modes.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would be curious to know how many people with the cam phaser issue have a tune on their Raptor. It absolutely makes sense that failures can be related to continuous stop/ start of an engine.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would be curious to know how many people with the cam phaser issue have a tune on their Raptor. It absolutely makes sense that failures can be related to continuous stop/ start of an engine.
First order is to use forscan to disable that ********!

Status
Not open for further replies.