Buyer Beware!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t make up….

So, after searching for weeks and calling numerous dealerships, I found a black 801A without any add ons that i could afford in West Virginia (I am from Dallas).

I flew up to WV Wednesday stayed overnight (because my flight landed at 9pm) and yesterday picked up my brand new Raptor. I have wanted a Raptor forever and after saving up my pennies for years, I finally had my dream truck!! It was christmas and my birthday all wrapped into one.

So I start driving my new truck back to Dallas. 12 hours yesterday and 5 hours today. I am an hour from the house and all hell breaks loose.

I get a coolant warning light and an engine overheating light and the truck reduces power in the middle of the highway. After safely getting to the shoulder, the truck shuts off. Steam coming from engine bay.

So, first i call the WV dealership and ask for the Ford roadside assistance number. After 20 min talking to the dumbest guy ever, he tells me i will need to pay for the tow!!! After a few choice words i hung up and called a local tow truck.

After the tow arrives, we cant get the truck into neutral. When we finally find the release strap under the steering column, we still cant move the truck because the electronic parking break keeps engaging. Finally figured out had to put whole truck in service mode to get on the truck.

Oh, and at this point the truck will no longer start at all.

Finally get to the dealership and they tell me that they have no techs to look at it and no one will likely look at it until next week.

So, here i sit in a rural dealership in nowhere, Texas waiting on my wife to pick me up after dropping $80k on my dream truck that has now become a nightmare.

Hope ya’ll have better experiences with your new 2021 Raptors.
Bummer man. Hopefully this all gets sorted out and 6 months from now it will just be a funny story you tell about when you met your rappy!

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!! This is a GREAT forum and a wealth of knowledge.

So, got an update from the dealership. A number of you were totally correct.

Dealer said there is a spring clamp that holds the coolant line on. There is a tab that has to be punched with a tool for the clamp to engage. Evidently, at the factory, someone never removed the tab. So, the spring clamp never engaged. There was nothing holding on the coolant line.

Service Mgr. said it was a miracle that I drove over 1,100 miles without it blowing off. Unfortunately, he has seen it a number of times on new vehicles from the factory. Someone was either hungover on Monday or ready to leave on Friday. He also said it would be very easy to miss on a post production inspection because of how far up in the engine bay it is. Evidently hard to get to and not easy to see.

So, long story short, it is fixed and ready to be picked up. Driving there now.

Thanks again to all of you for the replies, well wishes and support. Ya’ll rock!!
Awesome to hear, I was hoping it would be something simple. :favorites13:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A friend bought a brand new jeep. Two three hundred miles and the tranny explodes. It never had any gear oil in it. Happens to all the makers.

BossRaptor

Reaction score
Awesome they knocked it out in a timely fashion. Good PSA for all the new gen 3 owners.