Buyer Beware!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes. That's a horrible story and I hope Ford takes care of this for you OP, I'm sorry.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not trying to scare OP, but personally I'd be worried about the heads being warped if it actually overheated. Hopefully this didn't happen...
These engines use a Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) sensor. Unlike a traditional sensor that reads the temperature of the coolant, the CHT reading remains accurate in the event of coolant loss. When the temperature threshold is reached, the system will shut down the engine.

OP
OP
G

gwdlaw

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!! This is a GREAT forum and a wealth of knowledge.

So, got an update from the dealership. A number of you were totally correct.

Dealer said there is a spring clamp that holds the coolant line on. There is a tab that has to be punched with a tool for the clamp to engage. Evidently, at the factory, someone never removed the tab. So, the spring clamp never engaged. There was nothing holding on the coolant line.

Service Mgr. said it was a miracle that I drove over 1,100 miles without it blowing off. Unfortunately, he has seen it a number of times on new vehicles from the factory. Someone was either hungover on Monday or ready to leave on Friday. He also said it would be very easy to miss on a post production inspection because of how far up in the engine bay it is. Evidently hard to get to and not easy to see.

So, long story short, it is fixed and ready to be picked up. Driving there now.

Thanks again to all of you for the replies, well wishes and support. Ya’ll rock!!

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that must have felt like a kick in the nuts after the high of driving home in a dream truck and then the low of having to get a tow. That’s why I always buy local so I have somebody to make it right or buy it back. When I bought my 2020 802a $74k and miles of driving and truck sounds like it’s grinding itself in blender. Come to find out it’s all to common IWE nonsense, but that sick feeling of spending that kinda money to have issues so fast is hurts. Yours is way worse I feel for man.

ThankU45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very happy for you, @gwdlaw, enjoy your new truck in good health. Wishing you many years of trouble-free performance.

650Raptor2

Reaction score
That is a horrible issue! There are lemons no matter what vehicle you or we can buy. Hoping yours will be resolved and you can enjoy that awesome truck!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
long story short, it is fixed and ready to be picked up. Driving there now.
That’ a pretty quick turnaround and about as good a service experience you can hope for on a short notice drop off. Fingers x’d they got it done and done right -- maybe take a good long, local, stop and go drive before heading directly home just in case.

if everything’s done right, make sure to give the place a thumbs up somehow.

Glad the dealer didn't take a week or two to check.
Exactly.
That is a horrible issue! There are lemons no matter what vehicle you or we can buy. Hoping yours will be resolved and you can enjoy that awesome truck!
This is an unfortunate fluke, there are pretty few and far between ‘lemon’ qualifying Raptors out there.

at least it’s good news to start off the weekend.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of when I picked up my brand new 1992 Ranger in Jacksonville, FL and drove it to Texas. Somewhere in TX there was a loud bang followed by several idiot lights, so I pulled over and discovered the bolts holding the belt pulley had come out and caused me to throw a belt. I was able to milk it to the closest Ford dealership which was only like 8 miles right off the highway. I was so mad and acted like a total jerk. The dealership fixed it after I calmed down. I was apologetic as I can’t believe I acted like that. They did a great job getting me back on the road. I know long time ago but I get what you were feeling. Point is sometimes things happen beyond our control, I put 186,000 mile on that truck before selling it to my little brother. Never had another problem out it. Hopefully your new ride will just as trouble free.