buy 2020 or wait for 2021?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fleet sales will most likely dominate numbers. Even though these are probably sold for smaller profits.

Raptor sales are still very small in comparison. But I’m sure they do well on each truck.

OP
OP
A

AKS

Reaction score
There are not "tens of thousands" of discounts on non-Raptors. Most non-Raptor $60K-$75K F150s can be had for $10K to $11K off sticker price. I agree there is nobody buying a Raptor $10K under sticker (now), but keeping rolling out 25,000+ Raptors a year with no real improvements and you will see 10K discounts on Raptors. Nobody pays sticker or above anymore for a Gen 2 Raptor unless they have trouble negotiating vehicles prices with car dealers or have money to burn and simply don't care. The "out the door" prices are just going to keep dropping.

FWIW, Ford has no skin the the game when it comes to selling Raptors over or under sticker. The sell all trucks at invoice price to the dealers. The dealers make all the markup / profit after that. If they stop selling for big profits, the dealers stop ordering them.

Gen 2 Raptors are just not that unique anymore. I see Gen 2 Raptors at least 4 or 5 times a day. The guys who wanted a Gen 2 bought em. Plenty of guys want a new Raptor, but do not want a V6. The pool of buyers for more Gen 2s is only so deep. Raptors are not real good at "truck" things compared to normal F150s. It's a damn hard vehicle to justify owning when you consider the cost and the limitations it poses when it comes to payload.

i cant watch tv for 5 minutes without some idiotic "$15k in factory cash off all 2019 f150s" commercial. if its factory cash or discount i have to guess that ford is paying those out. so selling at msrp or at least invoice does matter to ford

i do agree that prices will keep dropping if ford doesnt make some major updates to the raptor platform. considering so many guys want a v8 for some louder noise- would makes sense if ford offered the raptor with two engine options (hybrid 6 and gt500 v8). we all know most people dont take these offroad just like most hellcat owners dont take their cars to the strip. its about bragging rights in a good looking car for 90% of buyers. as long as credit is cheap those pools of buyers will always be deep enough to make a market

OP
OP
A

AKS

Reaction score
Fleet sales will most likely dominate numbers. Even though these are probably sold for smaller profits.

Raptor sales are still very small in comparison. But I’m sure they do well on each truck.

correction: fleet sales for trucks are smaller for ford
2019 fleet sales 1,243,136
2019 dealer sales 1,285,859

the raptor also serves as a great marketing tool to sell those fleet vehicles. same reason disney doesnt care if the parks lose money- they still serve as a great marketing tool for their movies

Last edited:

DinduMcNugget

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are EcoBoost I3s, I4s, and V6s. What part of EcoBoost says "not a V8"?

At some point, they have to add boost to a V8 to keep up. The HP wars are raging and a 3.5L V6 is not going to carry Ford to victory. Electric trucks are not going to take over like some people think.

I don’t know about the electric trucks taking over, whether they will or won’t, but they aren’t something that I’m interested in at the moment. I do know that California is trying to go all electric vehicles by 2040 and that means something to all dealerships who want to sell here. Not saying I agree with it, but what California decrees usually ends up affecting what happens in a lot of other places in the United States, especially when concerning a business trying to capture market there.

OP
OP
A

AKS

Reaction score
I don’t know about the electric trucks taking over, whether they will or won’t, but they aren’t something that I’m interested in at the moment. I do know that California is trying to go all electric vehicles by 2040 and that means something to all dealerships who want to sell here. Not saying I agree with it, but what California decrees usually ends up affecting what happens in a lot of other places in the United States, especially when concerning a business trying to capture market there.

i would be more interested to see how many people that dont want or like electric trucks will change their tune if petrol prices from 2011 or 2012 make a comeback

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
correction: fleet sales for trucks are smaller for ford
2019 fleet sales 1,243,136
2019 dealer sales 1,285,859

the raptor also serves as a great marketing tool to sell those fleet vehicles. same reason disney doesnt care if the parks lose money- they still serve as a great marketing tool for their movies

Maybe I should have said fleet/work truck sales including dealers. Meaning they sell many more times the plane Janes then Raptors.

I see, respect and agree with what points you explained as well.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i cant watch tv for 5 minutes without some idiotic "$15k in factory cash off all 2019 f150s" commercial. if its factory cash or discount i have to guess that ford is paying those out. so selling at msrp or at least invoice does matter to ford

No way Ford is putting $15K out there. It's typically around $5K factory cash- at best.

considering so many guys want a v8 for some louder noise

Reliability, simplicity, serviceability. All of those are far superior on a n/a V8. If you don't give two craps about all of that- then throw boost at the larger V8 and it will completely destroy the smaller V6 engine. There is no replacement for displacement.

OP
OP
A

AKS

Reaction score
Maybe I should have said fleet/work truck sales including dealers. Meaning they sell many more times the plane Janes then Raptors.

I see, respect and agree with what points you explained as well.

ah that makes more sense. completely agree with that

no way the raptor is a significant portion of that +2,500,000 trucks sold in the US

OP
OP
A

AKS

Reaction score
There is no replacement for displacement.

thanks late-1960s car advertisement but this is 2020

i do believe that ford may eventually shoehorn a large v8 into the raptor but only to appease the substantial demand for it and to blow the TRX out of the water. if they offer several options the v8 would easily jump past the $100,000 mark after dealer adds. you and everyone else begging for a v8 going to ante up with an order for a six-figure raptor?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thanks late-1960s car advertisement but this is 2020

i do believe that ford may eventually shoehorn a large v8 into the raptor but only to appease the substantial demand for it and to blow the TRX out of the water. if they offer several options the v8 would easily jump past the $100,000 mark after dealer adds. you and everyone else begging for a v8 going to ante up with an order for a six-figure raptor?

True dat! Oh bring back the Chevy Big Block lol. Forced induction has helped to fill the large motor void. Sub 400CI V8’s are not large displacement engines. Well maybe by today’s standards.