buy 2020 or wait for 2021?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Pics of the rest of the boat!!!

Whenever I look for parts, its always for a boat or a motorhome, much more common applications for that motor.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying a 2020 for all those reasons. I wasn't sure what was going to happen with the 2021's. Could be a supercharged v8 that costs 90K+, could be a hybrid (definitely not interested) and/or could be another year or year and a half until the 21's show up, not to mention markup and build limitations (may only do high end to start, I didn't want the sunroof and didn't want to pay for the 802a, I'd rather put 12K into off road upgrades).

Exact reason why I bought a 2020 too. Wouldn’t be able to afford it with markups, which will definitely happen with a new model ....

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact reason why I bought a 2020 too. Wouldn’t be able to afford it with markups, which will definitely happen with a new model ....
That and giving them 2-3 years to work the bugs out.

McM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may have to do with octane. On the water there aren’t many 93 octane pumps. There all 87-89. Most marine engines are low octane. Any turbo or supercharged engine usually needs high octane

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking that perhaps boats tend to operate at more consistent RPMs? On the road, your consistently changing RPMs due to stops, passing, etc. It's why you have a gas pedal (and brake). On a boat, no gas pedal, as you'll shift RPMs much less frequently.

Being the turbos are a boost to be used only over short time periods (seconds) when you are specifically looking for acceleration, does it makes sense to have boost on a boat when the application doesn't lend it self to short time periods of acceleration?