buy 2020 or wait for 2021?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will 2021 really be all new though?

Hard to imagine.

If the TRX is coming end of this year I would think Ford would wait until end of 2021 for 2022MY to bring out the Gen 3 to compete with the TRX.

At the very earliest. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2023 intro sometime in the summer of 2022.

If the TRX really is a 700+hp V8 with a supercharger I can't imagine Ford not doing a V8 option to compete.

I can. DC electric motors are torque monsters. If they do it right, a hybrid could blow the TRX out of the water in a drag race. If the TRX isn't good off road, that's another nail in the coffin. My big fear about the TRX is that it won't be good enough to push Ford into really stepping up the Raptor.

If that is the case of the Gen 3 coming as a 2022 MY do you think there will be one more year of Gen 2? Or just no Raptor at all for 2021?

I think no Raptor in 2021. Maybe a MY2022. Maybe.

I am really wanting a Gen 2 truck, but won't realistically be ready until January-Feb 2021. Do you think there will be any 2020 gen 2s still around by then? Or will my chances be slim?

Your timing is poor. If the dealers know for sure that there will be no 2021, they'll get real proud of their remaining stock. Your best hope would be for a major recession. Then dealers would talk and there would be folks who financed their trucks in a world of hurt trying to get out from under the payment. But if you have to wait until Jan/Feb for financial reasons, you probably wouldn't be in a position to buy if a recession does hit ...

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your timing is poor. If the dealers know for sure that there will be no 2021, they'll get real proud of their remaining stock. Your best hope would be for a major recession. Then dealers would talk and there would be folks who financed their trucks in a world of hurt trying to get out from under the payment. But if you have to wait until Jan/Feb for financial reasons, you probably wouldn't be in a position to buy if a recession does hit ...

I was at several dealerships over the weekend. Lots of Raptors still available. Spoke with one who was confident there would be a 2021 Raptor, just that would release late. Obviously, could be wrong.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was at several dealerships over the weekend. Lots of Raptors still available. Spoke with one who was confident there would be a 2021 Raptor, just that would release late. Obviously, could be wrong.

If he's wrong, watch his prices jump overnight when he realizes his error. It's all a gamble and Ford is playing their cards close to their vest to keep everyone guessing. Given history and given what else Ford is doing in 2021, I'd say 99% no Raptor. But there's always that one percent ... I could be wrong. If you want to give me 50-50 odds, we should talk. :)

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If he's wrong, watch his prices jump overnight when he realizes his error. It's all a gamble and Ford is playing their cards close to their vest to keep everyone guessing. Given history and given what else Ford is doing in 2021, I'd say 99% no Raptor. But there's always that one percent ... I could be wrong. If you want to give me 50-50 odds, we should talk. :)

I wasn't shopping for Raptors at the time, didn't have any impact on the vehicle I was looking at.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents

the raptor will take at least a year off. Ford has their plate full with the new F-150 and the bronco.

although the raptor is a money maker it’s nothing compared to the regular F-150.

I personally believe that Ford will do a hybrid drivetrain likely with the current V6 they have now. Ford is not afraid to embrace technology and when you look at where the automotive industry is going they’re not only looking at the TRX they’re also looking at things like the cyber truck and rivian.

we have seen the capabilities of hybrid drive trains just look at all the various super cars being produced now anyone who dismisses that is flat out ignorant.

The possibility exists for a GT500 version but that will likely be a limited edition special version that as will be north of six figures and out of the reach of most people.

judging from what I’ve seen so far I personally believe the raptor will be a better off-road vehicle than the TRX. When I look at what they’re doing to it with the launch mode and those massive lower control arms I just got the impression they’re looking for a Boulevard cruiser that stomps sports cars from stoplight drag races.

1 VLoci

Reaction score
If there are any new 2019’s hanging out on a lot, you can likely get the dealer to give you one hell of a deal. (I did it two months ago and it was the best decision ever.)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there are any new 2019’s hanging out on a lot, you can likely get the dealer to give you one hell of a deal. (I did it two months ago and it was the best decision ever.)

How much % off MSRP if you don't mind sharing? There is a 2019 802a not far from me I'm looking at.

Josh84

Reaction score
I would always go with the final model year (polished) before a first model year (kinks to be worked out). The next Raptor will most likely be a late model year release or skip a year. If it skips a year you can't go wrong with a 2020.

Crosby

Reaction score
Just got back from Raptor Assault and the boys at the Ford Performance Racing School are saying 2020 is the last of the GEN 2's and the GEN 3's wont be out until late 2021 at the earliest. I would say grab the 2020 while they are available. I don't think i would want to buy the 1st couple of years of the GEN 3's when they do come out, it takes some time for Ford to work out the kinks on a brand new design / build

Crosby

Reaction score
Will 2021 really be all new though?

If the TRX is coming end of this year I would think Ford would wait until end of 2021 for 2022MY to bring out the Gen 3 to compete with the TRX. If the TRX really is a 700+hp V8 with a supercharger I can't imagine Ford not doing a V8 option to compete. If they release the Gen 3 too early with the same 3.5L the TRX is going to really threaten the Raptor.

If that is the case of the Gen 3 coming as a 2022 MY do you think there will be one more year of Gen 2? Or just no Raptor at all for 2021?

I am really wanting a Gen 2 truck, but won't realistically be ready until January-Feb 2021. Do you think there will be any 2020 gen 2s still around by then? Or will my chances be slim?

Quote from the guys at Ford Racing - "what part of ecoboost says V8" They seamed pretty sure no V8 in the Gen 3 - saying Ford has way to much invested in the ecoboost platform and still have a ways more to go in cranking even more hp out of that engine.