buy 2020 or wait for 2021?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKS

Reaction score
title says it

buy a new 2020 or leftover 2019. or wait and probably pay msrp+ dealer markup on a 2021?

what would you guys do?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you wait for a 2021, you might be waiting until the end of '21 for a '22 or the end of '22 for a '23. Nothing is certain, but the odds are that there will be no '21 Raptor. Given past history of two-year gaps after a new generation of F-150 is introduced, there may not be a '22. The possible debut of the TRX throws a real monkey-wrench into the works.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy Now.

The literature I have seen on '21 F150s don't show a Raptor. If there is no '21s the leftover '19 and '20 models will not be available at a deal.

OP
OP
A

AKS

Reaction score
If you wait for a 2021, you might be waiting until the end of '21 for a '22 or the end of '22 for a '23. Nothing is certain, but the odds are that there will be no '21 Raptor. Given past history of two-year gaps after a new generation of F-150 is introduced, there may not be a '22. The possible debut of the TRX throws a real monkey-wrench into the works.

it just seems crazy that they would not produce a money-maker like the raptor for that long

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it just seems crazy that they would not produce a money-maker like the raptor for that long

By the end of a generation, they have lost their exclusivity. Gen 2 Raptors are as common as dirt out here. With a break in production and and an upgrade, there will be pent up demand and MSRP + $10-20k will become a reality again. Plus Ford already has a ridiculous amount on it's plate in '21, with a new F-150 and the Bronco. The set up is the same as it was between gen 1 and gen 2, when there was a two-year gap. Probably the only thing that could change this is the possible introduction of the TRX, if it really happens. But Ford would need some time to respond, so there is a chance for a '22 in late '21. I wouldn't bet a lot on it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could wait 2 more weeks,if there's no intro about a 21 raptor by then, I would bet its safe to say it won't be coming next year, get your '19 or '20 before they are gone. This happened at the end of '14.

OP
OP
A

AKS

Reaction score
By the end of a generation, they have lost their exclusivity. Gen 2 Raptors are as common as dirt out here. With a break in production and and an upgrade, there will be pent up demand and MSRP + $10-20k will become a reality again. Plus Ford already has a ridiculous amount on it's plate in '21, with a new F-150 and the Bronco. The set up is the same as it was between gen 1 and gen 2, when there was a two-year gap. Probably the only thing that could change this is the possible introduction of the TRX, if it really happens. But Ford would need some time to respond, so there is a chance for a '22 in late '21. I wouldn't bet a lot on it.

very good points there

if this is the case... ford would need to give the raptor a complete makeover for 22-23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will 2021 really be all new though?

If the TRX is coming end of this year I would think Ford would wait until end of 2021 for 2022MY to bring out the Gen 3 to compete with the TRX. If the TRX really is a 700+hp V8 with a supercharger I can't imagine Ford not doing a V8 option to compete. If they release the Gen 3 too early with the same 3.5L the TRX is going to really threaten the Raptor.

If that is the case of the Gen 3 coming as a 2022 MY do you think there will be one more year of Gen 2? Or just no Raptor at all for 2021?

I am really wanting a Gen 2 truck, but won't realistically be ready until January-Feb 2021. Do you think there will be any 2020 gen 2s still around by then? Or will my chances be slim?

OP
OP
A

AKS

Reaction score
You mean like a coil spring rear suspension and a hybrid drive train?

coil spring rear for sure given the spy shots

hybrid powerplant is possible but a gt500 transplant seems more likely... unless they use the raptor as the guinea pig for all f150s and stick a hybrid in there first