buy 2020 or wait for 2021?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrfixxit7

Reaction score
How much % off MSRP if you don't mind sharing? There is a 2019 802a not far from me I'm looking at.

I picked up a Fully loaded 2019 802A Ruby Red SCEW for $63,500 + processing fees of $199 (MSRP was $73,775) back in May, so some dealers are willing to sell at a discount.

Nick9323

Reaction score
I ended up buying a 2020 for all those reasons. I wasn't sure what was going to happen with the 2021's. Could be a supercharged v8 that costs 90K+, could be a hybrid (definitely not interested) and/or could be another year or year and a half until the 21's show up, not to mention markup and build limitations (may only do high end to start, I didn't want the sunroof and didn't want to pay for the 802a, I'd rather put 12K into off road upgrades).

OP
OP
A

AKS

Reaction score
thanks for the input boys. still hunting around for a deal. lets see what turns up

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2020 Leadfoot yesterday. The MSRP at $76,500 for $69,500, so there out there. I was told the 2021 will be built, but every dealer I went to before this told me something different so who knows. He still has a leftover 2019.
https://www.kingsfordinc.com/inventory/new-2019-ford-f-150-raptor-4wd-4d-supercrew-1ftfw1rg8kfc82242

Wow...a 2019 leftover.
Definitely not a deal with that discount.

The 2021 Raptor will be a late intro.
It will be a hybrid, based on the most recent spy pix.
There will be a factory NO2 option to combat the TRX.
That last item is not confirmed, but relatively certain of the first two.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it just seems crazy that they would not produce a money-maker like the raptor for that long

They don't make that many Raptors compared to Lariats, King Ranch, Limited and Platinum models, all of which are close to if not much more expensive than the Raptor. Those models do not require any completely unique suspension parts, bed, fenders, bumpers etc either. They aren't losing money on the Raptor for sure, but I don't think the Raptor the huge money maker you think it is. It costs Ford a lot more to make, and they don't sell that many in the big picture of F150 sales.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quote from the guys at Ford Racing - "what part of ecoboost says V8" They seamed pretty sure no V8 in the Gen 3 - saying Ford has way to much invested in the ecoboost platform and still have a ways more to go in cranking even more hp out of that engine.

There are EcoBoost I3s, I4s, and V6s. What part of EcoBoost says "not a V8"?

At some point, they have to add boost to a V8 to keep up. The HP wars are raging and a 3.5L V6 is not going to carry Ford to victory. Electric trucks are not going to take over like some people think.

OP
OP
A

AKS

Reaction score
They don't make that many Raptors compared to Lariats, King Ranch, Limited and Platinum models, all of which are close to if not much more expensive than the Raptor. Those models do not require any completely unique suspension parts, bed, fenders, bumpers etc either. They aren't losing money on the Raptor for sure, but I don't think the Raptor the huge money maker you think it is. It costs Ford a lot more to make, and they don't sell that many in the big picture of F150 sales.

they make less raptors but have you seen how much they discount on those other models? we are talkin 10s of thousands on some platinum models that are overstocked. same doesnt happen with the raptor

margins may be thinner on the raptor but it definitely makes up for it with being able to sell almost all of them at or over msrp

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they make less raptors but have you seen how much they discount on those other models? we are talkin 10s of thousands on some platinum models that are overstocked. same doesnt happen with the raptor

margins may be thinner on the raptor but it definitely makes up for it with being able to sell almost all of them at or over msrp

There are not "tens of thousands" of discounts on non-Raptors. Most non-Raptor $60K-$75K F150s can be had for $10K to $11K off sticker price. I agree there is nobody buying a Raptor $10K under sticker (now), but keeping rolling out 25,000+ Raptors a year with no real improvements and you will see 10K discounts on Raptors. Nobody pays sticker or above anymore for a Gen 2 Raptor unless they have trouble negotiating vehicles prices with car dealers or have money to burn and simply don't care. The "out the door" prices are just going to keep dropping.

FWIW, Ford has no skin the the game when it comes to selling Raptors over or under sticker. The sell all trucks at invoice price to the dealers. The dealers make all the markup / profit after that. If they stop selling for big profits, the dealers stop ordering them.

Gen 2 Raptors are just not that unique anymore. I see Gen 2 Raptors at least 4 or 5 times a day. The guys who wanted a Gen 2 bought em. Plenty of guys want a new Raptor, but do not want a V6. The pool of buyers for more Gen 2s is only so deep. Raptors are not real good at "truck" things compared to normal F150s. It's a damn hard vehicle to justify owning when you consider the cost and the limitations it poses when it comes to payload.

Last edited: