Brand new 2019 SCrew stolen within 24 hours of picking it up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A buddy of mines 19 F-250 was recovered a week ago. Truck was stolen about 5 weeks ago. DPS tried to pull them over and they went off road in a hurry. Destroyed the truck.

This has me wondering if “I” we South Texas owners pay that much more for insurance over people up north due to theft. I’m $211 a month thru USAA with my wife’s 16 explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
FrodoTBaggins88

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mines 19 F-250 was recovered a week ago. Truck was stolen about 5 weeks ago. DPS tried to pull them over and they went off road in a hurry. Destroyed the truck.

This has me wondering if “I” we South Texas owners pay that much more for insurance over people up north due to theft. I’m $211 a month thru USAA with my wife’s 16 explorer.

I would say "yes" considering I only paid about $80/month for full coverage and $500 deductible on a brand new Raptor.

How did insurance treat your friend?

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 75,850 sticker. $500 deductible and I’m under $120 a month in SATX with State Farm. Of course there are other variables in all our prices like business use like I have, and comp/collision limits. Lot of variables you need to compare prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I was saving for quite a while to get my 2019 so I wasn't about to wait another month and based on what I saw I don't think they will be able to recover the first truck. If they do, well I guess I will have a Raptor for sale in a few weeks.

Insurance as far as I know only pays out market value, which depreciates when you leave the lot. I don't know what they're gonna offer as market value but I can almost guarantee it won't cover the $75k truck, plus taxes and fees rolled into the loan. So I will be out some money even in the best case scenario.
FrodoT, so how does the “theft policy” work that you bought from the dealership? This is above and beyond your full coverage insurance?
Curious if this incremental umbrella we should all consider?

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I was saving for quite a while to get my 2019 so I wasn't about to wait another month and based on what I saw I don't think they will be able to recover the first truck. If they do, well I guess I will have a Raptor for sale in a few weeks.

Insurance as far as I know only pays out market value, which depreciates when you leave the lot. I don't know what they're gonna offer as market value but I can almost guarantee it won't cover the $75k truck, plus taxes and fees rolled into the loan. So I will be out some money even in the best case scenario.
FrodoT, so how does the “theft policy” work that you bought from the dealership? This is above and beyond your full coverage insurance?

OP
OP
FrodoTBaggins88

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well from my understanding it's basically a "down payment assistance policy" if you suffer a total loss due to theft. Yeah it's above your regular insurance and GAP, and it's supposed to give me $3000 to help cover the down payment to replace the truck. If I bought the second truck from the same dealership they increase the benefit to $5000, but I chose not to buy there again because they were not very good to deal with. We'll see if it actually does what it's supposed to do. I'm at the point now where I will basically hire a lawyer and file a suit if the dealership tries to go back on anything they sold me.

I'd post some details from the contract but it got stolen with the truck. Still waiting on them to send me copies.

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would say "yes" considering I only paid about $80/month for full coverage and $500 deductible on a brand new Raptor.

How did insurance treat your friend?

They covered him. He had his payout as a total loss in less than two weeks. Already has a new truck.

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
2019 75,850 sticker. $500 deductible and I’m under $120 a month in SATX with State Farm. Of course there are other variables in all our prices like business use like I have, and comp/collision limits. Lot of variables you need to compare prices.

My 19 sticker was only $300 under yours. $500 deductibles. I’m right about where you are as my math says $114 a month for just the truck $687 for 6 months. The $211 is for two vehicles. So we are about 50% higher than Froto in SA.

Squrtcap

Reaction score
I purchased a new Shelby last September and drove it from Alabama. First night choose an old Motel with parking in front of door and felt very safe. Second night stayed in the Comfort Inn which the above Raptor was stolen. No Comfort at this hotel. Parked her in entry and put the car cover over her and left nothing in car. No theft, but I was not at ease during the stay in Amarillo.
Never leave owners manual in vehicle, and I also use the Club on the steering wheel and used to wire in a fuel pump disconnect. After this sad theft, will get wiring diagram and add a switch for fuel pump disconnect on my Raptor.
There is a YouTube video of an owner switching the covers on the drivers door, he put on a cover without the keyhole.

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the insurance cover everything. In Chicago if you leave a key in your car the insurance will pay you zero