GEN 2 Brake issue can become Steering issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teamster

Reaction score
So, looks like I'm having a similar host of issues. I'll put my writeup here instead of opening a new thread to keep continuity of conversation and ease future drivers googling their issues.

I was taking my '17 screw through a pretty mild but tight technical trail with a few rocks and drops. After getting through a feature, my power steering went completely haywire - angle sensor was swinging hard from 45 degrees left to 45 degrees right, back and forth, all while my steering was centered unmoving. A faint whining was audible when trying to manipulate steering. From here, the dash threw every error you can think of: AdvanceTrac, Adaptive Cruise Control, ABS, Hill Descent Assist, etc. I was able to wrestle the truck back to camp and pull codes using FORscan.

The most serious code thrown was C1B00, an error in the ABS sensors. The DTC indicated that the sensor was sending erratic data, and the truck went into limp mode as a result. While a physical inspection of the cables and sensors didn't show any damage, it's possible that I came down on one while crawling. I had the truck hauled on a flatbed to my dealership, where it is waiting to be diagnosed now. I'll follow up here when I have more information or a solution.

In the meantime, this is a great reminder to make up for Ford's shortcomings in design, and get some deflectors for your ABS and vacuum hoses. Even if that's not what happened to me here, there's always a chance it'll be the culprit someday in the future.
An update on this: truck is still at the dealership. Definitely was not the wheel speed sensor. Reportedly, "several modules are offline, not communicating, but not flagging faults either. Possible either share grounds or share power. Need to test wiring and inspect electrical schematics for offline modules."

When asked for more info, the tech didn't have any. Just that there are modules offline and they can't seem to get them back online. I was wondering if it was related to the wheeling I was doing, but the tech believes it's just bad luck and shit timing. They're working on trying to get the modules back online, but it could be anything from a bad ground, bad power, broken wires, bad modules, or something else entirely.

So, uh, guess I'm truckless for a good while longer. Wish me luck.

Barclay

Reaction score
In the meantime, this is a great reminder to make up for Ford's shortcomings in design, and get some deflectors for your ABS and vacuum hoses. Even if that's not what happened to me here, there's always a chance it'll be the culprit someday in the future.
I can definitely second these as a worthwhile investment! I got these installed after recovering from the mess from my post in this thread last year, and haven't had a problem since. I've even revisited the spot where this happened several more times without incident.

My experience has been that there is no such thing as too much protection if you're going to do a lot of off-roading (especially in deep mud or over large rocks). Even if you're just going to drive on a lot of gravel roads, upgrading the protection on the rear shocks is something I'd strongly recommend. The factory plastic shields had essentially disintegrated after 20-25k miles on my truck. The truck just loves to throw rocks. I added large mud flaps immediately, and have also added the ABS and vacuum hose protectors, steel guards on the bottoms of both rear shocks, replaced the plastic shock guards with aluminum guards, and even made my own "front flaps" after having rocks thrown off the front of the front tires destroy two sets of fog lights, haha.

I've self-inflicted at least a hundred rock chips all over the tailgate, somehow managed to toss a large enough rock up that it came back down and dented the top of my rear fender, and have even managed to throw stones onto my own hood and roof numerous times. I wanted to see what kind of spin I must be putting on these rocks to get them to catch up with the moving truck and land on top of it, and within a couple of minutes, I'd already sent a rock through my GoPro's outer protective case, an inner lens protector, and cracked ever single layer of the lens itself! I had bought a hitch-mounted pressurized water tank in order to have rinse water on camping trips, and after a couple months, I'd already managed to send a rock so hard into the spigot that faces away from the truck that it broke off, never to be seen again. I also had a cooler on one of those hitch-mounted cargo trays on the way home from a relative's house one time (I wound up having to bring home more than we had brought, so I bought it to make space inside the truck, as the 72 qt cooler took up an awful lot of interior space, haha). A couple of hours into the drive home, driving down a straight, flat gravel road in Kansas, the cooler (which was brand new at the start of this trip) already had its hinges completely dissolved by gravel spray…on the next large bump, it was like a volcano, hahah. An eruption of meat, produce, and drinks were tossed into the air and scattered over about a 300ft area, with many of the carbonated beverages exploding upon landing. It was quite the cleanup, haha.

An update on this: truck is still at the dealership. Definitely was not the wheel speed sensor. Reportedly, "several modules are offline, not communicating, but not flagging faults either. Possible either share grounds or share power. Need to test wiring and inspect electrical schematics for offline modules."

When asked for more info, the tech didn't have any. Just that there are modules offline and they can't seem to get them back online. I was wondering if it was related to the wheeling I was doing, but the tech believes it's just bad luck and shit timing. They're working on trying to get the modules back online, but it could be anything from a bad ground, bad power, broken wires, bad modules, or something else entirely.

So, uh, guess I'm truckless for a good while longer. Wish me luck.
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Electrical faults can be a real headache on these trucks. (And also particularly annoying, since a lot of the time it results in locking out of terrain modes and/or going into limp mode.) A damaged ground resulted in an intermittent fault that slowly burned up every clutch plate in my transmission before it was apparent anything was wrong or any DTCs were set. I don't know when it started, but by 15k miles, I had a truck that couldn't shift into reverse and struggled to get above 3ʳᵈ gear. Required a full transmission rebuild. We eventually tracked down the culprit. A damaged wire was causing the voltage to the transmission's shift solenoids to intermittently drop to ≈3V, which would result in only partial engagement and a bunch of burned-up clutch plates. You'd think the truck would have noticed such a severe voltage drop in such an important component, especially considering the tantrums it likes to throw over much more minor issues, haha, but I guess where this happened either wasn't somewhere the computers monitor, or the duration of the voltage drops were too short to set any DTCs. ‍♂️ I dunno, but the first DTC only got set the SECOND time that the truck couldn't get into reverse.

teamster

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Electrical faults can be a real headache on these trucks. (And also particularly annoying, since a lot of the time it results in locking out of terrain modes and/or going into limp mode.) A damaged ground resulted in an intermittent fault that slowly burned up every clutch plate in my transmission before it was apparent anything was wrong or any DTCs were set. I don't know when it started, but by 15k miles, I had a truck that couldn't shift into reverse and struggled to get above 3ʳᵈ gear. Required a full transmission rebuild. We eventually tracked down the culprit. A damaged wire was causing the voltage to the transmission's shift solenoids to intermittently drop to ≈3V, which would result in only partial engagement and a bunch of burned-up clutch plates. You'd think the truck would have noticed such a severe voltage drop in such an important component, especially considering the tantrums it likes to throw over much more minor issues, haha, but I guess where this happened either wasn't somewhere the computers monitor, or the duration of the voltage drops were too short to set any DTCs. ‍♂️ I dunno, but the first DTC only got set the SECOND time that the truck couldn't get into reverse.
Believe it or not, it was the OBDII harness and wiring pigtail that goes into the main wiring harness of the truck. It was starting to fail and was shorting out, sending cascading failures through multiple systems. That combined with a faulty steering column control module meant that everything went haywire.

Once the harness and module were replaced, and the system re-calibrated for the new harnesses, it was back to working perfectly. Not clear what induced the failure - the best guess from the dealership and my own gut instinct is that it relates to the prior owner leaving it sitting for several years without running it.